I have my am4 parts arriving tomorrow / sunday

• AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • G.SKILL F4-3000C16D-16GTZR 16 GB (8 GB x 2) Trident Z R GB Series
  • ASRock X370 Taichi AMD X370

its a little bit mismatched as I have the r5 1600 with a x370 taichi, my reasoning for that is that was always going to be the motherboard that I was aiming for and the r5 1600 is basically filler until next payday, at which point I will replace with an 1800x + AIO watercooler and the 1600 will become part of my brothers upgrade machine over his existing am3 / 8350 build

all the rest of the parts will be cannibalised from the old system.

antec 1100 case
sapphire r9 390x 8gb
1kw modular psu
3x 3tb spinning rust drives
1x 512gb samsung evo 850

2 Likes

I was a little shocked until I read the next sentence…

Good choice of parts, but I would have gone for the 3200 version of the RAM, since RAM prices are through the roof at the moment anyway so those few dollars probably wouldn’t hurt as much.

2 Likes

Should be fun to play with :slight_smile:

Just waiting on the ram now

Everything else is assembled and ready

Up and running

boot time on the taichi is a bit surprising compared to my old asus ws z97

Ram had to be reseated a few times, swear it was in fine but what the hey… working fine now

1237 cb

clocks are set to 3.7ghz, could probably push higher but I don’t like the temps on the stock cooler when its that high.

For gaming purposes there is no perceptual difference (I dont have to be objective, it’s my pc for my purposes :stuck_out_tongue: ) from the previous cpu (which is good, as that means the drop from high ipc / high clocks 4790k of previous cpu did not give me a noticeably worse gaming experience).

Initially I had plans of swapping this 1600 out a couple of paydays later and giving it to my brother but this may be actually all I need for now.

Might just end up buying him another 1600

In my book this cpu is amazing value for money and well worth anyone considering.

4 Likes

You should consider just overclocking a 1700 you can hit the same speeds as an 1800x on average. Especially if you are planning on using the X370 board and an AIO.

From what I’ve read and experienced in my own system and overclocked 1700 is nearly the same if not equal to the 1800X. I managed 3.9 ghz on my 1700 on a b350 board your setup would likely produce similar or better results.

**Also the 1600 is excellent if you just plan on going that way as well!

https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=87774205433

obligatory passmark test

That’s like my 5820K being filler for a 5960X…except, a lot cheaper…

Did a quick smt on/off test using a utility called CPUCores, I had it from back when I used to game on FX and it helped out quite a lot back then in a few titles.

Resident Evil 6 Benchmark tool

SMT OFF

SMT ON

Score correlates to how many frames were rendered across the entire sequence of the run.

4.28% faster with smt on, …on a dx9 title no less

retested a couple of times with similar numbers and 4% puts it beyond margin of error

just ordered my am4 bracket from corsair, hopefully I will be able to hit 4.0, but 3.9 at acceptable temps on my h80i will be acceptable

R5 1600 is going to a good home, I now have this bad boy

6 Likes

Can you get it to 4GHz? Mine stops at 3.95GHz at 1.375v, but temps are great on an H100iV2.

Just ordered the same CPU motherboard combo. Really excited seeing your results. Right now I’m just debating what cooler to go with. The stock cooler will be good for now. Looking forward to see what you can do with the H80i.

push 1.42 if your comfortable and really want 4.0 ghz

I’m not and I don’t. I didn’t get there at 1.4v and I’m not going to bother going any further for 50MHz. In fact if it weren’t for voltage droop it could do it at 1.35v but I’m already at LLC 4 and I’m pretty comfortable where I’m at honestly. I might tweak a bit more, and I need to focus on RAM more anyway. Currently running 4 sticks of Hynix at 2933 and would like to get back up to 3066.