I have a dilema

So, I am using a pc from 2005-2006. This one to be exact. The only thing different is that the hdd is a 320gb (It came like that, I don't know why it says it has two 250gb in RAID 0), and I have replaced the monitor with a ASUS 23'' 1080p monitor last summer. Now, I am wanting to do some video editing (I know, it sounds impossible, but the stuff I am editing, besides one project a year, is at the most 3 min long) and some light gaming (the only game I play on it gets 120fps on a 650ti, so I don't need a high end card). I do not have the money to build a whole new computer, although I also don't know how much I should put into this system (I'm thinking $150-$200, I don't want to spend too much then turn around next year and build another pc). Like I said, nothing hard core, but enough that will get me by with what I am doing until I can afford to upgrade to a newer computer next year. The big ones I think are processor, graphics card, and ram. More than likely I'll want to max out the ram (4gb max, not that big of deal) and get a processor that is more towards the 3 ghz range. What do you guys think?

oh dear god its a gateway, other than that its worth waiting, your not going to beable to do anything with it but prolong its death, my advice get the new one.

Yeah, putting any money into that machine is not worth it.

^That is why I am wanting to put as little as possible into it to just get it into decent standing. I can barely do anything with it right now. Also to ipat8 it has already gone out on me once. HDD corrupted and I had to reinstall windows, plus I lost like 8 years of photos that was on there >:O

well i can put a part list together if you want, that or i can build it for you (your paying for the parts btw). there is really nothing i can think of for a decent price that would make it useable again.

I am not worried about putting it together, I have taken this machine completely apart and back together again with no issues. You could put together a parts list for what I should shoot for (keep it reasonable) and I'll look into puting a pentium and 4gb of ram into this one. I'll try to keep this machine under $100 then completely upgrade next year.

bump

Update to what I think I am doing: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1C0cf Nothing too much, then next year build something like a apu system or a fx-6300 system and put my 650 in it. Any other ideas?

IMO upgrade it now. LGA 1155 4 core and z77 would run you around $200. With ram and GTX 760 your looking at decent video editing rig(home use) under $500.

Yo build a PC from scratch, BF4 reccomends 8 GB of ram and your mobo can only hold 4, 4GB of ram is starting to become a little out dated : / buy a new system, make sure you invest a good 120 dollars or so in the mobo for upgradability :)

Something like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1C3cQ

• CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($91.00 @ NCIX US) 
  • Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.98 @ NCIX US) 
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
  • Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
  • Case: Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.99 @ Newegg) 
  • Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $502.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-10 00:56 EDT-0400)

Could I run that with my psu?

This is what I am thinking to get after buying these parts. Would this be a good choice? I couldn't spend this much on one pc now, but if I were to build from scratch, it would have to be cheap. Keep it under $500, including an os. I can re-use the hdd in this computer if I need to.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1C7V7

• CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($91.00 @ NCIX US) 
  • Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ NCIX US) 
  • Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg) 
  • Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
  • Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
  • Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US) 
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.90 @ Amazon) 
  • Other: Your HD ($0.00)

Total: $502.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-10 09:27 EDT-0400)

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I need a nvidia card for the build. Not going to get into it, but a really old simulator I play has compatibility issues with amd cards and uefi mobo's in windows 8. I know, it is weird, but if you use this setup the game crashes no matter what. NVIDIA cards work fine, however. Other than that the build looks great!

bump

Like others have said, with how out of date your current computer is putting money into it would hardly be worth it. You get to a point where you just need to start fresh and your at that point. I was able to put a system together for a friend a few months back that plays Battlefield and Crysis on high setting with the filters turned down, but with far better performance than his PS3 for $650 including HDD and windows. 

What emulator are you using?

For the love of god, don't upgrade the system, for an extra 100, you can build this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1C6De

Maybe you don't even need another case or  power supply... Then its even cheaper.

Then next year you can upgrade or build off of that. Plug in an nvidia card (if you really do need that) and a faster CPU next year and you are set for your needs.