I hate my full time job

I like the live, but I'm good with whatever. Just don't call it live if its edited imo

We have gigabit internet down here in Mississippi in like 20 communities.

Just saying.

Live episodes are great fun. Would be cool if one of you guys were in the IRC so you chat with the community and it would filter out the youtube crowd.

We all have dealt with stress -- no worries man. This won't last forever, so a little more time and thins will be better for you and the crew. It's OK, we'll all be waiting for you when things settle down.

It's cringy to be that guy that throws out cliched sayings but it's true that wherever you go there you are. After we finally make the hard decision to sell my grandparen'ts house that I'm fortunate enough to live in by myself I'm taking a small portion and going to most likely Portland or maybe somewhere on the outskirts. I know it sounds crazy giving up a house that's paid for but it's either stay here and exist relatively comfortably in Florida which is currently governed by a GOP lizard man or take a chance and actually start living. If worst came to worst I could hang out at Powell's all day while I figure out finding a job and finding somewhere to live. Contemplating between either doing the normal apartment thing or just buying an acre of land if that's even possible. (I have no idea how much land costs) and living like a hermit in a tiny home.
Next month I'll do my minuscule part to help you towards your dream by grabbing the pcb mouse pad and beer kit along with maybe $10/month patreon. Everyday I look at my guitars and think If I sold these and my pc and was willing to leave my cats I could be out of here. I'd be homeless but I wouldn't be here anymore. Then again I'd need my classical to busk on the streets.

Oh yeah and about selling out just start wearing Corsair/Intel/Coolermaster/Asus/MSI/EVGA/Sapphire/XFX/Zotac/ nascar suits and be done with it. "If you don't use coolermaster....fuck you!!"

I'm all for the Live TEK Shows.

As to why, honestly it gives a much more interaction with the community as apposed to, okay watch on youtube, then comment on the forum. I believe Wendell uses a Bot to post all the tek stuff on the forum(?) maybe post the actual video on a thread and we can all discuss the topics AS you're reading and talking about it, IN the thread. plus it gives you an excellent opportunity to separate the Youtube Chat from the actual forum conversations in the process.

1 Like

TEK Live, Wednesday nights @ 7:06 PM PST!
Don't miss it or Logan will personally go to your house without you knowing and fill your shoes with shaving cream because he knows how much you hate that!

I will personally be sending more money once I have a stable job, I want to help out as much as possible for this community.

As far as finding a more permanent office, I wish I could say take your time, but at this point you need all the time you can get. You seem to have most of the situation fairly organized, but the stress that comes with it is eating away at you. Just learn to enjoy every little moment you get to yourself and don't mind the interruptions. I guess ZEN is the key word here. I don't know why I'm typing this, you're a big boy you can handle yourself for the most part.

just know the community has your back.

1 Like

@Logan One person is capable of only so much, no matter how much money you can throw at him for incentive, and stress is a great inhibitor to the creative process.

I think the community is mature (and evolved) enough to understand that changes, especially positive ones, do not happen immediately, and, furthermore, they understand that it is important for you to be able to find the means of allowing that to happen. This should include allowing you to de-stress.

I have seen some of the posts (rather, one in particular) where people have tried to politicize their patreon contributions, which I think is beyond poor taste. A donation is to help you in your quest to create content, not an attached string that people get to tug you around with.

I would far prefer that you feel, on your own terms, excited to create content that you feel is uniquely yours and is up to the standards that you feel is appropriate, than for you to feel constantly stressed out and forced to produce content. I'm fairly confident most others feel the same.

2 Likes

That is probably a good idea, since you're probably not going to have rehearsals shows, like the talk shows do. They really only do that before their first show though. There will always be pressure when doing a live show. It's just going to get less as you become more experienced with doing them. It shouldn't completely go away though. A little nerve is a good thing.

Land costs a lot, wherever you go, but relatively speaking, it's cheaper in less populated areas...or I should say, your money goes farther. But there's all sorts of problems that come with owning a house. I'm not going to get into this, as that's another thread.

Well... speaking of less populated areas. VT was my favorite place in the USA, but it was hard to hire people and expand Tek Syndicate. I also wanted to make a video game. I need to be in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, etc. to make that happen. Anyway, Portland is the only city that I really enjoy for long periods of time. So, it wins. The house I wanted is now in a bidding war... 9 bids in 3 days. It is getting sad. However, for the record... please don't message me telling me where to live. It's damned annoying. It's like when you get a cold and everyone has the fucking remedy. No, I'm not moving to some strange place. I am moving to Portland. I would consider Vienna, but that's about it and I don't have time to mess with Vienna. Anyway, the stress is already getting the better of me today. I better have some tea and calm down a little.

We go to China on the 15th. I thought we would have a place by now, but the market is insane in Portland too. I'll try to have a shot of whiskey to calm down... then shoot some videos for everyone. Sorry for the delays. I am losing sleep over it all.

1 Like

This might be barely feasible if it's still available in what's looking like at least another year or more likely closer to two until we sell. http://www.landwatch.com/Klamath-County-Oregon-Land-for-sale/pid/302598034 https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c7/Map_of_Oregon_highlighting_Klamath_County.svg/800px-Map_of_Oregon_highlighting_Klamath_County.svg.png To me that's close enough to commute back and forth to Portland. Probably will be sold by then but that's an idea of the lifestyle I want. My parents are obviously keeping the majority of the money but they're going to help me get to where I want to go if I can wait that long. I try to stay humble because I don't have it bad as I have a roof over my head and food to eat along with the entertainment extras and just a small amount of extra $ to buy a few small items/beer/wine every month but this place is killing me culturally. I'm tired of being king of the neckbeards staying inside most of the time with a ride on my beach cruiser everynight to clear out the cobwebs. Just want somewhere quiet that's near the portland area. I live in a school zone which is NOT quiet most of the time and I tend not to go outside in the summer when it is. This area is just restaurants,bars, churches, surf shops, and strip mall wastelands.

Buying a house is the one of the largest decisions in an adult's life. It is normal to be stressed. And a bit of that anxiety is you are growing up. Everyone gets some cold feet when putting down roots. Doing all this while still working esp. whith your own business is rough. I have been there. You can do it. Take a shot, rub one out, roll up your sleeves and get at it.

1 Like

@logan, you sound like my wife. we are looking for a place to buy in 2016, right now.

the things i enjoy most about the tek in no paticular order

laid back goofiness
indignation about the government
hardware reviews
interaction with the community
wendell

keep it up man. watch some eps of portlandia

One thing I do not have is cold feet. I have tried to get several places.... but they turn into bidding wars. That's the real problem with the market here.

this...do this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It would be fantastic to have the audience involved and not have youtube swill chat

1 Like

I did that during the last tek.

2 Likes

I get that but sometimes you can't rush it. Do what you can but take it slow.

I'm really a fan of having The Tek on Friday, it is a great way to cap of the work week. You guys were the original ones to do the Friday night show and I don't think you should have to change now just because everyone is following you. I think having the show recorded helps with the quality, though the last live show was good. Some of the other Youtubers with live shows are pretty bad though.

I hope you guys find a place you like to live/work, let the community know if we can help.

2 Likes

I like Thursday night for live show if you could make that happen.

Trust me you don't want to move to SF unless you want to go bankrupt renting an apartment. Though I'd love having the Tek team that close lol.

1 Like