I got fubar

Having the tubing going into the pump reversed direction doesn’t help much ether tho
Added to the confusion

Working again? Nice one.

After all the dramas I had with water cooling. I am happy to stick with air cooling. Less to fail, and much cheaper. Additional to that, I think you really need to keep the water temp down. An airconditioned room would be a help here. But, watercooled PCs are super quiet.

Fuckin-a brotherman

Water cooling much more effectively strips to heat off of your components and throws it into the air of your room

so you can increase the temperature Ambient of your room
more so than with air Cooling
which a lot of people don’t expect

usually none of my components ever reach past 55 Celsius under complete load

Initially my goal with this project was near absolute silence I have enough Radiator on this to power a machine with one graphics card and no fans for a short period of time

99% of the time the fans on my radiator blocks are low RPM idle
at I believe 600 RPM?
They are cougar CF-V12HP8

Distilled water and silver coils.
Fucking, fuck me sideways.
Lessons learned.

1 Like

cpu is sitting pretty at 30c-31c gpu is at 30c

Sorry to see how things worked out for you.

Were you able to clean the radiators? Someone above recommended vinegar; I have had good luck cleaning my rads with it when I tear my loop down. That being said, I do not have any experience with cleaning out remnants of pastel fluid.

just scroll up,
ive chronicled my journey through darkness
since i woke up today ive been on this
im literally sitting here shirtless and damp on the floor looking for leaks… at 4am

1 Like

I know how that goes. Glad things are working out for you. Even with all of the headaches involved, I still like watercooling.

1 Like

me 2
not right now
but mayhaps tomorrow

Well…

yes…

and no.

The most effective way to get heat from a component into the air is without / with minimal distance from the source to the fins. Which is why noctuas and other high quality tower coolers can easily outperform AIOs of the same size. When there are only short bursts of high load on the system, water is the way to go. When your CPU exceeds 200+W of heat or so, air cooling will get to it’s limits. No question, watercooling is the way to go in those scenarios. But I found that most systems are better off with a proper tower cooler and even GPUs can be air cooled very effectively.

… anyway

Good to see that you are figuring out your stuff. And honestly, pure crystal clear water combined with shiny metal and monochromatic color scheme still looks the best if you ask me.

1 Like

tldr.

water gets you closer to ambient temps vs air.
physics is a factor of course.
water off the chip to the air of the radiator

Well, no. And physics is not just a factor, it is literally everything. :wink:

Water cooling is still air cooling :slight_smile:
It’s just effectively moving the heat from a small chip to a rad with larger surface area to air cool.

4 Likes

One could argue water cooling in general is not for serious work since air is much more reliable and sometimes even perform better (ie Noctua coolers beating 240 AIOs).

1 Like

Yeah, with the consumer gear. I think if you went full industrial, you could design and build a great system. Most issues are with poor quality components, fittings that leak, bad fluids, inadequate cooling etc. Style over reliability.
What if you had a dedicated heat ex-changer to take the heat out of the water properly, soldered fittings and tubes, filtration units. Then you could game so hard.

1 Like

What a journey, glad you came out ok in the end.

I looked at this stuff a while back & decided to just stick to dyes. Glad I did now. That CPU block was crazy, looked like thermal paste on the inside.

Before i built my first comp. I always wanted to have custom water loop with LEDS because it looks cool and gives you lower temps. Then I realized how much hassle it is to maintain it. What happened to you has just reinforced my decision. I have AIO water cooler on CPU and normal air cooler for GPU. CPU is at 29C and GPU at 31C

At the moment it’s just not necessary. Maybe if you live close the equator where you get really high climate temperatures then it makes sense to get custom water loop.

This is true. I lowered my temps by 10 C from switching from Red to Blue LED’s.

/s

3 Likes

Amateurs…

Go UV. The Temps are unreal.

/s

1 Like

So usually this kind of stuff is the result is done reaction with something.

I mean this can happen with literally anything. I’ve seen this happen for people with just distilled water in the loop. And if this were a frequent problem the internet would be full of it. And keep in mind that the reports you can find is 90% bad stuff because noone bothers to report it when everything works. For 1 bad experience there’s usually thousands of good ones noone reports on.

But anyway, I digress.
What are your parts and did you set up the loop initially? The parts were used before right? Did you use any of the prep stuff out just water to flush out the old stuff?
There’s tons of variables and that’s exactly why manufacturers don’t give guarantee to work with everything. There’s just no way to test every possible combination.

And to be fair they say right on the product page that this can potentially happen and is a lot of work to get rid of.