I got a 905p optane trying to figure out some interesting things to run using it

i happend to get my hands 905p 960gb for a good price. im wondering if any one has any silly idea they think i should test out with it i am already planning to trying to do some goofy stuff with neo4j and a few other dbs and some fun with qubes. but if any one has any other ideas they think i should try id love to hear it.

2 Likes

Well, I’d use it as a SLOG for a ZFS cluster.

1 Like

only issue with that is its going to be running on a intel 8086k so no ecc and last i heard zfs needs ecc. though that sounds like something fun to try and i have a few spare servers lieing around so i can always slap it in one of those.

Zfs does not need ecc. Don’t want to get a massive debate going. So use it for zfs slog or arc and have some fun.

1 Like

ah ok thats good to know this should be fun thank you :slight_smile:

Yeah, ECC is a “nice to have” but is by no means as critical.

If you really want to know why, feel free to read this article:

http://jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-and-non-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/

1 Like

ah ok that makes sense im happy you linked that article i really like zfs but i was to scared to use it non ecc now to convert everything to zfs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any time.

Don’t get me wrong, ECC can help, but it’s not as important as some people make it out to be.

It works great as swap , zfs slog and with lvmcache

2 Likes