I don't want to dual boot

FTFY. As good as gaming got on Linux/virtualization, it still has a long way to go.

1 Like

Well Linux obviously does not really work for you,
since the games you play simply don´t run natively on linux.
Just use windows for your gaming, and linux for other stuff,
just like @AnotherDev already mentioned.

You could of course go trough all the hoops of virtualizations.
But you need to have the hardware and knowledge for it.
And in the end, the performance could still be dissapointing.
Same counts for wine, proton etc.
I believe you could try lustris.

Linux is simply not really geared towards gamers just yet.

2 Likes

Depends on who you’re talking about.

I can set up a Windows VM with my 1070 passed through without any terminal work today.

Using virt-manager or what?

Tempted to post a doubt.tiff :wink:

you have 2 options pass through or dual boot. no amount of crying wishing praying or hoping for another alternative will change these facts. if proton wine dxvk do not work then you are out of options and have to bite the bullet and face reality.

3 Likes

Agree.

1 Like

windows 7 is the best windows ( if not on cutting edge tech)

1 Like

What I’m doing:

• Keep trying in new versions of proton
  • play different games. Lutris has runners for C64, Amiga, etc. and there are a heap of great classic games in that back catalog. Running them via lutris is easier than under Windows, and they’re tiny to download.
  • look for linux specific games instead
  • remember: games are only entertainment. Consider if there is anything else more productive you could be doing with your time.

I have no windows install any more. Its quite… liberating.

edit:
I also popped out the RX480 i was planning to use for Windows pass-through last night. I can’t be bothered, and like i said there are so many games i never completed, a Windows gaming install is just SSD space (and money for a Windows license) i’d rather have for other stuff (even if it IS a VM), etc.

1 Like

Key word in the post you are responding to being “HELP”.

Even if you aren’t a coder you can submit crash logs, bug reports, help test, etc.

Development isn’t 100% writing C. And the people writing the C probably aren’t spending a lot of time testing/playing games. The more/better bug reports and testing you can do, the more time they can spend coding instead of tracking down software and hardware to test with.

Also, lol at all the suggestions on how to dual boot (or what OS to dual boot), given the title of the thread.

@GardenData61371 Have you considered trying Lutris?

https://lutris.net/games/?q=skyrim

2 Likes

I’ve tried lutris. But I also mod games a lot and games like Skyrim are hard to mod on Linux.

so you can run skyrim on linux, and you can mod skyrim in linux.

however getting mod managers to work in linux is a pain and you are better off manually installing mods.
i have gotten it working in wine, but you’re better off using steam and enabling proton in settings as it does all the work behind the scenes. as for the rest of the modding software, wine and change the game file locations? i have heard of people getting that working on loot but havent played around with modding heavily enough on linux.

Not really. Just run the mod manager in the lutris environment. I do it myself.

1 Like

I know there are some issues with running mods caused by case sensitivity, as you can have a folder called textures and a separate folder called Textures right next to eachother. The solution is to make everything lowercase always.

I have done this process a few times and even for someone who runs linux for years this is a really flaky setup.

This is closed as it is outside the revived thread guidelines. Feel free to create a fresh topic, or PM one of the Leaders if you think this was incorrectly closed. See here for more info.