I dont understand hatred toward ubuntu

I love Ubuntu in what it provides to the general public.

Solid stable distro that is easy to use and it is the type of distro that help improve market share.

The problem to me is in the documentation, yes everything has man pages but there are default configs that Ubuntu makes and these aren’t listed in documentation as far as I know. This means if I decide to update a component and this breaks my system it becomes that much harder to fix. Stability also hasn’t been that great lately - I have 7 systems running Arch (The distro that is supposed to break the most) and haven’t had a single thing go wrong on them. I wish i could say the same for Ubuntu - Ubuntu breaking and then struggling to get proper documentation is why I moved to Arch in the first place. (That and up to date software)

Ubuntu has an almost empty wiki if you compare it to Arch. I definitely won’t call these hatred toward Ubuntu - I just see it as possible reasons that users who doesn’t accept the OS as it is given to them and prefer making changes wouldn’t want to use it.

But in all honesty this isn’t the market Ubuntu is going for. It’s one of those if you have a hammer not everything is a nail. Ubuntu isn’t for everyone and I think the typical Ubuntu user you probably won’t find on forums like these. That is probably why you can feel like there is too much hatred towards Ubuntu, your looking at communities that largely doesn’t fit what Ubuntu is made for. (I’m going of topic as you mentioned Youtube - but the type of person that says the repositories are too old probably shouldn’t be using Ubuntu in the first place.)

1 Like

If you install the 4.19 kernel make sure you have the 415 series nvidia driver otherwise you fall back to software rendering.

I neither love nor hate ubuntu, or any distro for that matter.

Ubuntu as a tool is great when you need a linux set up fast, or a predictable platform to put something else ontop of, without worrying about configuring the world from the kernel up (cough looking at you Arch, which I also use daily).

As someone who makes heavy use of virtualization Ubuntu is my goto OS for guests, for this quick setup property, if a machine is gonna last a week I don’t want it to take hours to configure.

This ease of use carrys forward into their UX. Unity is dead, All hail gnome

When my mother’s windows 10 PC is playing up I can throw a preconfigured Ubuntu machine at her and she will be able to use it with no instruction… That’s something most OS’s would kill for (looking at you windows).

So hatred against Ubuntu…

No it doesn’t ship the latest MESA, and no its older Kernel doesn’t play nice with my OVMF Dual VEGA64 set up, but like any tech it’s just a tool, and it’s place is on my belt next to my leatherman when I need something “good enough” right now.

</rant>

2 Likes

I think this is what more people need to understand.

Hammers are not better than screwdrivers. They have different (primary) jobs.

Just like different linux distros (or hell, even operating system platforms).

1 Like

I use ukuu from wendell video updating kernel version on ubuntu 19.04

2 Likes

I dont hate it. just usually get annoyed at the ever changing repositories.
all in all buntu’s are decent distros.
but everyones choice is different so were gonna hear a lot og pros and cons with it

I rarely change repos on ubuntu

i hate ubuntu for the

ubuntards

not the smartest users in the repo

**ouch my opinion hurts right?

4 Likes

there are tards everywhere so I respect your opinion is fine I welcomed it.

1 Like

The reversion of the Ubuntu desktop from Unity back to Gnome in 18.04 has caused some short-term adjustment problems, but people will get over that. And netplan? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Well, we’ll have to get over that as well.

Ubuntu server/cloud has forged ahead and is a good (if not great) choice for VM/VPS deployments.

Canonical and Valve working together to bring Steam to Linux was/is staggeringly important. The vast majority of the Linux community has no freaking idea how important that was/is for the long-term future of the Linux desktop. RedHat didn’t make it happen. Slack didn’t make it happen. Debian didn’t make it happen. Canonical/Ubuntu did.

Canonical has given Linux a transfusion of (dare I say it — badly needed) fresh blood. Change-averse (and anti-Windows) users didn’t like that, and protested furiously, but in the long-term I think the pros far outweigh the cons.

Evolution is essential for the survival of any species — even Linux. Canonical accelerated the process beyond the comfort zone of many, but we’re in a healthier state now, so we should be thankful.

I’d describe Ubuntu’s progress as “three steps forward, one step back”. More forward progress has been made in the server/cloud sphere than the desktop sphere, but overall it’s been positive in all of them.

Canonical seems willing to experiment and take risks with Ubuntu, but they also seem willing to roll-back when things don’t pan out. That may make Ubuntu an excessively ‘turbulent’ distro for many, but if you don’t mind the surf, the water’s just fine. There are no rips and you don’t need to swim between the flags.

3 Likes

How can distrobutions like Manjaro, Solus, Mint & others, which rely on community efforts, do a much better job than Ubuntu for the desktop experience? Which has Canonical (Worth 127 million usd 2017) behind it.

What’s not to hate about that?

Solus was even a 1dude distro once, giving a simpler, tailored, streamlined desktop experience, while being a ROLLING distrobution. (How can that be considered sane, if compared)

Ubuntu is and has always been for linux enthusiasm and hobby’ists. It was never intended to take over the desktop experience which most if not all ubutards have been dreaming about since forever

Well i kinda disagree with your point of arguments.
I mean a desktop experience is mainly a personal thing.
Yeah Cannonical tried to create their own thing with unity, with they actually stopped.
They now use Gnome3 as their flagship DE, and that is something they dont design in the core them selfs.
Gnome3 is Gnome3, if you dont like gnome3 (which i personally dont), then there are community flavours.
XFCE, KDE, LXDE, MATE, Budgie, whatever floats your boat.
Those DE’s are generally all the same on any other distro, except for bleeding edge distro’s,
like Arch which might have a newer version number from the said DE for what thats worth.
In the end they are all third party DE’s, which have their own team of developers.

So i personally dont really get your DE experience complain?
Of course Solus and Mint have their own DE, which makes them stand out a little bit.
But again its a personal thing when ever you like those specific DE’s or not.

Also Ubuntu actually is for the masses.
And next to that, Ubuntu is a really big and important player in the Linux field.
They are pioneers, and allot of the decisions they make also affects other distributions,
even those that are not Ubuntu based.
Linux probablly would not have been where it is today without the big dogs Debian, Ubuntu, Open suse and Redhat.

A desktop experience could be considered a personal thing, if most people personalize their desktop. Now how many do that on osx, windows, chromeOS? For linux it can be considered personal, otherwise it probably should not be considered personal, they are all operating systems.

The directions Canonical has tried taking Ubuntu has been under severe criticism and with good reason & logic behind it. Where it could have supercharged linux usage & enthusiasm. Several decisions including unity backfired

The criticism Ubuntu has received throughout it’s releases are exactly because of how Important those standard-setting decisions are to the linux communities

Well yeah they had allot of backfire in terms of Ui decisions with unity.
And that’s probably one of the reasons they decided to go with a third party DE for their flagship now.
But still again Gnome 3 is Gnome 3, and its a personal thing whatever you like it or not.
There are other DE flavors available.
You are not restricted to one DE, like on a proprietary OS.

A DE is not an OS,
And that is the nice thing about Linux, we have several DE’s to choose from.
We also have different core bases to choose from.
Which we don’t have on a proprietary OS like Windows.

I don’t think that people hate Ubuntu. It’s just that they prefer most other options. It’s like vanilla ice cream. Nobody hates vanilla, most would simply rather have a different flavor.

1 Like

I have a confession to make.

I put Ubuntu 18.10 on my old Lenovo. :scream:

3 Likes

One of my professors disliked Ubuntu so I won’t say all the hatred is clueless. Some of it is just Canonical’s insistence on changing things for the sake of changing things to be different from Debian. There’s no need to rename httpd / apache2. Why did they do that?

I suspect they made the change to accommodate the SDN movement, as a lot of the tools already work out of the box with Ubuntu and seems to be the preferred platform. Netplan is ahead of its time, I think. It is very jarring for those not expecting or not familiar with it. I hope it catches on, because in the long run it is much cleaner and accomplishes the same result.

Better than the Arch basement dwellers that have self induced erectile dysfunction from octopus hentai 24/7 and running ls -la to pretend to be productive.

1 Like

I would tend to agree, given their ideals of “not invented here” with LXC and Mir.

Both of those drove the breed forward, and ultimately contributed to the success of the project goals, but in the hands of their competitors Docker and Wayland.

In the case of LXC it still exists and is still used by some, as a lighter weight replacement for Docker.

Its happening again with Snap and Flatpak. Admittedly I think that IBM, sorry Redhat, have the better view of the problem, but ultimately only time will tell if snap (and flatpak for tha matter) is the step backward.

For now I thank Ubuntu for being flexible enough that regaining control of my memory consumption is as easy as

sudo apt autoremove --purge snapd

(Psst, I don’t like microcontainers)

3 Likes

I like microcontrainers its save me from convention for me but I use flatpak as well

1 Like