I don't understand bitcoins

I downloaded the bitcoin thing, wanting to find out actually what it was and how it worked. i opeed the .exe that was included in the zip folder, and it gave me a window and at the top left it said my bitcoin balance, then at the bottom it saidhow many blocks i had remaining. so i guesed that once i have no blocks remaining that i would gain 1 bitcoin. fair enough. then i had a look at the receive coins tab, and thas were i got confused. i had one there already and an adress next to its name which was (no label). i didnt understand so i looked onlin and not even the bitcoin site was any help. so i decided to play around some more with it and see if i could work it out for myself. i clicked new adress and it let me typ in a name but no adress, i also noticed that there was no indication of what my own adress was. so, i added one in the hope that something would happen, of course, nothing did. i right clicked one of the adresses i had and saw a sign message button. i clicked it and then got really confused. it told me "you can sign a message to prove that you won them" however, if i dont kno my own adress, then how do i know that i own another adress? i don't own another adress and am very confused at this point. so, i went to the send coins tab hoping that this might clear thing up a little. at this satge, it gave me the option to send bitcoins to a specific adress. if nobody knows their own adress, then how do you know who you're sending bitcoins to?

to be honest, it seems like a stupid piece of completely non-understandable garbage software that takes forever to do anything. however, if anyone can clear things up about it then be my guest.

thanks in advance,

tom

Lol well first of all, I really don't know what the point of the bitcoin app is. but bitcoin is a decentralized digital currency, and the price is constantly going up. What I use is a site call Coinbase, It makes it all a lot simpler. It provides you with an address, makes transactions simple. you could always use MtGox too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/bitcoin