I don't know what this old xeon chip is. Can anyone help?

Theres es p1ps but idk if qs or qfp

1 Like

They weren’t - I think everyone is looking at the ‘DAISY CHAIN’ marking on that sample packaged IC, but that’s the cache controller/tag SRAM chip. Routing on the board is identical in that image to a bog standard Klamath Pentium II-300. There’s no special ‘daisy chain’ hardware on this, and any standard Pentium II will run in a dual socket configuration. I have an old Tyan S1692 dual Slot-1 board that runs two Klamath P2-300s for running a parallel port hardware programmer… IIRC the dual slot support was a function of the chipset and not dependent on the processor.

There were socket/‘Slotket’ adapters for Socket 8 to Slot 1, but there was never any sort of Pentium Pro released on native Slot 1. Entirely different architecture, that’s why Slot 1 was made in the first place - the cache moved from on the CPU package itself onto a CCA module (and running at half speed) to save on cost.

1 Like

It would kill the boards immediately. We’re thinking the actual pinout on the chip may be different. It fits in a slot one but it may have went into a proprietary motherboard. It’s rare but not out of the question. I don’t have another chip to see if the pinout is different. With little markings to go on it’s hard to know which is best to compare to. Heatsink is not an issue though.

Do you know of any ODM/OEM boards that need proprietary chips from around that time? Maybe Dell or HP. That would be something they would do. Take a standard chip and change the pinout so it wouldn’t work in a standard board.

Here is some blurb on the CPU
https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL2Y2.html

Think of the good side; you will not have to concern youself with the
Meltdown and Spectre cpu bugs!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.