I don't eat fish. Where to start?

I found out the local market actually sells either cod or hadock. Translation is spewing the same name, so my assumption is they are similar…
So I found frozen filets, but they were literally an year old. They were frozen April 2018 according to the label.
So I got the trout…

Your lucky, here in the US at grocery stores, everything is like a year old before being sold at the market. Cod maybe be frozen and said to be best by a date. But after that best by date they can’t sell it. But frozen fish last quite a while. Anyways I don’t eat fresh fish unless I actually go fishing. Everything I cook is frozen (probably) about a year old and it doesn’t taste bad. Now ground chuck and other meats that are thawed have to be newer in terms of when it was packaged.

You should be happy, fish is the healthiest kind of meat protein beside veggie protein. Studies show red meats in particular are carcinogenic, and lunch meats too.

1 Like

I know. That’s why I kinda force myself to eat fish.
Honestly I’m not won over by the trout. It ain’t bad, it’s much better than the smelly garbage we serve at work, maybe cause it’s steamed, but I kinda want to try different things…

Oh you poor soul…

Is it sad, that I’m more interested in cooking the thing than actually eating it?

1 Like

SUSHI IS NOT RAW FISH!!!

Sashimi is raw fish, there are raw sushi rolls, but also cooked ones. Sushi refers to rice anyway not fish, though often it does contain fish. Also it’s perfectly fine to eat if prepared properly even if it does contain raw fish.

2 Likes

Sushi are magnificent

sushi is good

In the US sushi is raw fish. To muricans it is. I have never not gone to a sushi bar and not seen raw fish filling the entire menu. I am ignorant when it comes to Japanese culture.

1 Like

Then you don’t go to high quality sushi bars. Unagi is always cooked, shrimp is usually cooked, etc.

That’s just internet pedantry though, most sushi is of course raw fish.

1 Like

Seeing that, what we generally know as sushi today is an American invention, can’t really say you’re ignorant to Japanese culture. Iirc the only thing that comes from japan, is Nigiri and most likely also Sashimi. Maki, temaki, uramaki etc was made in California first, afair in the seventies.

@psycho_666 Looks great what you made. Thanks to you, I’ll be going fishing one of the coming days. All I got in the freezer is cod, and I want trout.

Often, when i’m lucky and catch a trout, I marinate it. First thing I do, before i prepare vegetables, is to mix a reasonable amount of olive oil (slightly acidic, so it opens the meat) with salt, pepper, garlic and whatever else I can come up with at the moment. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so while I prepare the fish. Then i put the fish in, and start preparing the vegetables. Since it’s fish, it doesn’t have to marinate for long. One thing tho I’ve noticed when cooking fish, keep it simple and the outcome is often nice.

1 Like

To be fair, that’s a true statement for everything when it comes to cooking. You don’t need to overcomplicate stuff.
Gordon Ramsey had a show and part of it was him and a random person cooking something and then the clients doing blind comparison… Half the time the complex Ramsey meals lost to the simple amateurish dishes…

True, it’s more to hit the tastes like, sour, sweet, hot and so on.

1 Like

You are halfway there! At first you were fearful of a foul taste. Now you found a fish that needs more taste. It all downhill from here. The battle is almost won. Keep trying and experimenting with recipes. By the way, I have tried swai fixed exactly like you cook this dish, and it is a mild taste. I enjoy the dish, but I am used to more subtle flavoring as well.

You are trying to eat better, and it honestly takes a while before you adjust to the flavor differences. The dish you fixed would probably come to life with some salt. Give it time though, and eventually processed food will taste salty, over flavored and cheap.

3 Likes

http://www.blackseafood.com
Can’t find much info about your area here in the states
What is Turbot?
Also where you work have you asked the fish delivery guy or anyone in the restaurant?
I has Sushi in Southern California with no problem
My daughter wanted to try Sushi and Sushimi at a local resturant in Pennsylvania, an hour later she was puking her guts out.
I always preferred salt-water fish over freshwater.
Fish Taco’s were a big thing in SoCal also

I have been cooking my food properly and avoiding junk for the last 3 years or so :stuck_out_tongue: My adjustment period is long gone…

Yeah, it’s original recipe is using different fish, but I decided to try with this one.

I avoid that as much as I can. I buy my meats and other ingredients and do everything miself. I make my own pasta sometimes.

What do you want to know? I mean the sea is kinda nearby and the river is 5 minutes walking distance, there are lakes everywhere.
I am surprised, I checked the market yesterday and it had all sorts of fish I didn’t expect to see…

Google say it’s a flat fish. Ramsey uses it in his restaurants. Yeah, I’m kinda his fan…

Our fish delivery guy is just driving the car and dropping the boxes with fish. He is literally just a delivery guy. I have spoken with the chefs thought. They told me not to eat the skin and not to try and remove the scales of the trout I have.

I see people mentioning that constantly. I tried avocado and cucumber rolls and honestly I don’t like sushi. You can’t make me eat the raw fish ones and even the smoked fish ones.
I may be willing to expand my food world, but meat needs thermal prep. At least in my head.

1 Like

Eat whitefish.

2 Likes

Another vote for salmon:

As per @Ramiel
I do fried salmon steaks with mushrooms and asparagus

• Roughly 1/2-3/4 inch thick with skin
  • Season with salt/pepper
  • fry in oil (i’ve been using avocado oil) or butter, maybe one to two minutes a side on medium heat
  • rather than going by time - i cut into my fish to inspect whether it is cooked through. essentially you want the salmon to have turned “opaque” all the way through (rather than the slightly translucent orange it is when raw). Once the thickest part is just barely opaque (in the centre), you’re done cooking. if needed, flip again and continue cooking (i.e., repeat above process until it is cooked)
  • the mushrooms - either fry them up or grill them while you cook the salmon. If grilling throw them under the grill upside-down, maybe try putting some garlic and feta cheese in them
  • fry asparagus in the pan until it goes dark green (will only take a couple of minutes)
  • cover the salmon with fresh squeezed lemon juice/add more pepper/salt to taste

A decent salmon fillet shouldn’t have any bones in it… but check before cooking.

2 Likes

The salmon was literally 3 and a half times more expensive than the trout I got…

Yeah but its 10x as tasty if you cook it properly :smiley:

Salmon is really good for you, too. High in omega3, etc.

I know it’s cliche, but you are what you eat. Good food in = better body and happier.

1 Like

Buy me salmon, I’ll happily cook it and share it with you.
Buying it myself is a no no if I want to be able to survive the month…

1 Like

You don’t need to eat it every meal. You live in a first world country… give up a take-away coffee (or take-away food, or that steam game purchase, etc.) or whatever this week and treat yourself…

1 Like