I dislike Nvidia on Linux right now

Its seeming like (right at this point) the 480 is the perfect card on Linux if you have a decent enough distro.

2 Likes

True, but It's just too tempting to hold out for vega. I mean by that point there might be more efficiencies on power (RAM wise ) and the drivers will be another 6 months on with 4.9+ kernal and Mesa , xserver updates. That seems like the right time.

1 Like

Good to know I decided on an RX 480... Buying one on Amazon US is going to save me close to ~$90AUD. But the warranty will be a thing. Still I've had good luck with tech. Fingers crossed.

Yeah i feel ya.
I want to upgrade my system and gpu aswell.
I have my eye on a RX480 for a while, but VEGA..

If you swap to a 480 now then the depreciation alone will go towards the cost of a Vega card, not to mention the shipping / advertisement.

I totally agree. The 480 has had really good linux support since launch. Especially if you compare that to my fury x, which was shit on linux, even though i bought it 4 months after launch, however its much better now

after kernel 3.20.x linus just got fed up with the 3x and decided to name it to 4
kernel release notes v

1 Like

Ah I see, I didnt know that. Thanks for pointing that out

I was very pleasantly surprised to see that my 290X/390X rig now works with the amdgpu-pro driver on ubuntu 16.04. Vulkan "works", has the same bugs as in windows (Talos Principle crashes if there is more than one GPU for example) but I can't really run Talos principle in Vulkan mode on linux. Game starts but crashes pretty soon if i move around any. Haven't done much debugging of the issue, but otherwise it seems to work well. Talos runs good in OGL mode.

The open driver also works now "out of the box" so to speak, Some updates have made it so it doesn't hard crash anymore thanks to power saving issues like it used to. There have been some work done on Vulkan support for the open driver, it is very much experimental for now but looks promising.

Future looks interesting. I used to run an Nvidia GPU on my linux box, but switched over to Intel iGPU to avoid the silly issues I had all the time. Open driver had issues, closed driver had other issues.

1 Like

Can confirm AMD drivers suck on Lubuntu 16.04 with a Radeon 4850. CS:GO barely reaches 25FPS when on PC it breaks 50 most of the time, and had to do a workaround to make Steam run. Went back to windows 7 & XP on this machine because #gaming

OP I very much like Nvidia on Windows. PHYSX!