I did a thing! First PC build

So... I decided to do it. Build my own pc. Two energy drinks and one all-nigher later... and my first PC build is complete!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor | $372.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler | Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler |-
Motherboard | Gigabyte GA-X99-GAMING 5 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard | $289.99 @ Micro Center
Memory | EVGA Superclocked 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory |-
Storage | Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $77.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $69.00 @ B&H
Video Card | EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card | $649.99 @ B&H
Case | Corsair 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case | $139.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply | EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | $99.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive | LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer | $49.49 @ B&H
Operating System | Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) | $84.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor | Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor | $709.00 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $2613.41
| Mail-in rebates | -$70.00
| Total | $2543.41
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-02 11:20 EST-0500 |

IMAGES

Thoughts and observations.

This was my first build. I did work.

This is primarily a gaming and streaming machine. Decided to go x99 route because it wasn't really any more expensive then skylake.

Currently gaming on a 1440p 27" monitor. Wasn't originally going to get that high quality of monitor... but if you're going to build an enthusiast rig... you need an enthusiast monitor to enjoy it ;D

Building PC is all consuming. Wish someone told me that before... pulled an all nighter by accident as I got wrapped up in trying to put all the pieces together.

Putting together a push-pull configuration with the h100 cooler was FAR harder than I had originally thought it would be. It took me about 3-4 hours of reading and trouble shooting to get it just right. And several trips to the store to buy extra fan extension cords and hubs...

Screen is a little bit big. I might invest in a game pad so I can sit farther away from the screen. Or a different desk. The monitor is awesome though.

Any criticisms/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

If your complaining of times should have started early in the morning after you woke up. Just bugging you congrats on the build and happy computing/gaming/streaming.

lol thanks. I actually did it over the weekend. Started saturday night about 8 pm and finished around 7 am the next day. Thought to be honest alot of the time spent was rookie mistakes / first time builder learning curve.

The mother board was far bigger than I originally thought... and it was difficult to fit the push-pull configuration into the system even with the larage case.

Not to mention that I put the fans in wrong so I had to keep taking them out to readjust lol.
And then I accidentally put the ram in the wrong slots and spent about an hour trouble shooting why it wouldn't boot... :P

But trouble shooting is part of the fun :D

I'm far from an expert I still have a computer to which I can't boot up. I get three fast beeps upon start up might need to pay someone to do it for me. Good for you getting a good working computer

Congrats! First build is about 70% of the learning. Second build gets you to 85%
If you find yourself opening the case multiple times a day to check for something: That is normal, goes away over time.

Congrats!
Also, great that you got it up and running. Do you have enough room on the bottom of the case for the PSU?
Nice that you got a store close by to get any parts that you may need.

Also, @Lisastar9 looking up the beep codes they point towards RAM failure or motherboard failure.
Perhaps you need to re-seat your RAM if you have not.

Yea. I had to open the case alot in the first 1-2 days mostly to try to add new fan connectors.
Currently (with push pull configuation) I am using 7 fans in my case. (four for the radiator set up in push pull exaust, two front panel fans for air intake, and 1 back-plate fan for exhaust).

Didn't have enough fan ports. The first extensions I bought were duds :'(.

I'm going to have to go back into the case tonight to flip the overclock switch on the mother board. Going to retry overclocking tonight now that I figured out the "flickering screen" error. Want to git 4-4.5 ghz.

When I first built it I was experiencing debilitating flickering in games. I isolated it to not having the most recent drivers downloaded and having a different refresh rate on my monitor than my games. (I had my monitor set to 59 ghz, games set to 144 ghz).

@Theonewhoisdrunk: I had plenty of room for the power supply on the bottom. It's a "little" light but that's because I didn't remove the second bay compartment. In hind sight doing so would have given me alot more room. There is about an inch and a half between the power supply/chords and the second bay.

The only trouble was with the push pull configuration ontop. And that's because the CPU 6 pin is right on the edge of the board on the top. AKA very close proximity to where you need to place the fans. Plus the heat sink of the motherboard is also huge, which rubs up against the fans... hopefully that isn't an issue. (it doesn't effect the fans at all).

EDIT: In the above pic you can see how close the bottom fans are to the mother board.

Oh no, I was referring the bottom of the case where the power supply is located and your case is on carpet. Just want to make sure that they power supply is getting air and not being suffocated especially when you are gaming or using the system at full load.
And yeah push/pull config on 240 or multiple fan radiator in general can get tricky.

It should be. Haven't had any issues. The case is slightly raised. you can't see it from the pictures but it is raised about 1-2m off the carpet. So far there doesn't seem to be an issue but I'll monitor it.

the corsair 750D airflow is amazing.

The CPU has yet go above 54*C (even in stress testing).
GPU stress testing put it between 60-67 *C.

Where can I buy that 59ghz monitor? Jokes aside, nice build. This is far more advanced than my first build so pad yourself on the back. Nice airflow too. My build was really budget so the case doesn't look nearly as nice and the internals are a bit messy. But it worked and it still works! I hope you have as little problems as did I. Have fun with it!

I got it at micro center. It was expensive. Why must nice things cost money... : /

Joking aside: I'm having a blast with it. The build was fun too! Just finished over clocking the machine to 4.3 Ghz @ 1.239 volts. It's the max overclock I can do without going over 1.3 volts. (Tried going for 4.4... but it required way more volts than I think is worth).

My FX 6200 underclocked to 3 GHz is still at 1.35 volts, lowered from 1.4. But hey it works!

In the end that's all that matters! :D
I mostly just wasn't sure if upping the voltage by 0.1 - 0.15 was worth only getting 0.1 higher clock speed. At that level.

The hardest part of the build was putting in the ram in correctly.... LOL. xD

Please tell me you were totally afraid of applying too much force to the RAM while trying to insert it too, the motherboard bent a little bit (as it should) and I really didn't know whether or not I had pushed the RAM far enough into its socket. I got very nervous. Now though it's not a big deal, one learns very quickly.

Yes.. plus... I was paranoid that I put it in crooked despite the fact that I lined up the arrows.
Like.. my eyes kept on looking at the motherboard and cpu and I could have sworn it looked crooked lol.

My issues with the ram: I got it in correctly but put it in the wrong spots (was using quad channel ram, had to put it in specific spots - not just every other one). Took me almost 1-2 hours to figure out why my PC wouldn't boot. Most harrowing moments in my life LOL.

Reading the manual would have helped there. But who has time to read a manual when you're doing a first time PC build and are excited, plus it being the middle of the night.
Also that is not even that big a deal compared to me putting the CPU in wrong ways multiple times and applying force to try and mash it into the socket, getting thermal paste on the CPU which would cause the system not to boot and not putting the thing into a case for a solid few months because I could not figure out how to screw it into the thing (not much place to screw in my case) and thus booting it with a screwdriver closing the connection that otherwise the power button would. That was (not?) a lot of fun. Not sure if it was or was not, looking back it sounds bad.

yea I here you. Well I made the mistake assuming that because I was installing 4 ram, every other would suffice. The pattern of ram was actually different on both sides of the mother board (on the left side, it was the first and third slot. On the right sight, it was the second and fourth slot).

I watched about 2-4 hours of youtube videos before even attempting the build. Plus I had a build video playing in the background when I started the build.

The most complicated part of the build was the push-pull fan with the 240mm radiator. It was super super tight.