I could be stupid, a 2nd Mobo under 2 years time?

So I could be just terrible at maintaining things or I have terrible luck. But I believe my Mobo is dying. My first mobo in the system was a terrible MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ that lasted 4-5 months before crapping the bed. I then swaped it out for a Asus M5A97 R2.0 which has done fairly well with my MSI R9 270 and a FX-6300.

But within the last month I have started to have various issues that I believe might be the mobo. The issues started with my USB ports and my headset, it would cut out my mic and sound to my headset, but kick the sound right back to my speakers. I had temporarily fixed this by switching the socket my header was pluged in to, it stopped the problems for a bit, but then that issue came back with more problems in tow.

When my computer would hibernate, I could never get it to start back up, even my reset button and holding the power button down would do nothing, so I would have to shut it off by the psu switch. Then performance issues happened, such as stuttering on things such as alt-tabbing or periodic freezing for no more than 2 seconds at a time. The biggest thing now (and I have to add that at this time i was only using my computer to trouble shoot, until i picked up an old laptop to throw Linux on) is that when I power it on, my monitor does not display, the LCD screen on my Keyboard does not light up, and the mouse does not light up either. If i power cycle it a few time I can usually get it to boot and things will run ok. I was trying to wait for some upgrades as I did just buy a new case (current one doesn't let me get my sausage fingers in it too well.) and I have a new PSU on it's way, because I do not have another one to test with in case that is ths issue.

If it is the mobo, I most likely will not replace it with another Asus M5A97 R2.0 (will grab my box back home and probably RMA it and use it in a build for my dad). But I do see the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130790 is on sale right now, which I am considering since the reviews seem pretty good, and I am thinking of after another paycheck or two, of getting myself a fx-8000 series cpu. Not opposed to Intel, i just tend to default to AMD.

Phew that was a bit to type. But from what I have described, does it sould like the Mobo? or could it even be my cpu?

Did you buy a pre-built?

What's your power supply?

And if you were looking for a cheap and decent AM3+ motherboard, there's this micro ATX board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157582

No built this about 2 years ago. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4vxDjX is the build with the exception of the Mobo, the old one is still listed there, my current one is an ASUS M5A97 E2.0.

Edit, the current PSU is Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze . PSU i just ordered is just the modualr version of what i have now.

Sounds more like you may have a power supply issue, do you have any spare one lying around to test it with?

Not yet, but my new one will be in on Wednesday.

While you're at it do some standard stuff maybe like reseating the CPU + RAM, maybe pull the board and try to fire it outside of the case to make sure it's not a grounding issue.

well ya know, try that before you RMA your board or buy a new one naturally.

Otherwise I wouldn't spend too much money on AM3+ stuff, better to start saving for zen and kaby lake

the grounding is one thing I did forget to check, I reseated everything, and even checked to make sure the thermal paste i applied a couple weeks back was not on any componets for a possible short. I was going to pull everything this week once the new PSU came because I have my new case just sitting there waiting to be toyed with.

I'd pull and test the grounding now, if you can identify that as the problem you can probably return the PSU you just bought before you even open it.

At work now, but I will do that when i get home, I have pulled the mobo out since i installed it, what would cause the ground change after all this time?

Dust, or the motherboard posts. Sometimes they will dig into the PCB and cause a grounding problem, or become loose from the case and result in issues as well. I've seen cases that are to blame as well, maybe when you pulled the mobo last time you caused a grounding problem when you reinstalled it.

In your situation seeing as you already burned one board, if it was a grounding problem I'd say it's the case is the culprit and that problem will be solved by the transplant to the new case. After that the most likely culprit would be PSU, which you're already ahead of the game on replacing if you need to.

mhh ok, that does makes sense, I was thinking that those issues would have appeared sooner than later, but does make sense.

Does sound about right, the case was my biggest regret initially, the one spot i cut corners on, because i figured how bad could it be, if that's the case (heh) then here's hoping the one i just got, a Corsair Carbide Spec-01, (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139041&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Computer+Cases-_-N82E16811139041&gclid=CLjg7aaTrMgCFQ4WHwodmPsCFA&gclsrc=aw.ds) Will do the trick.

Thanks again for your help, always is nice to have people to bounce thoughts off of. Trouble shooting for me is fun sometimes, but when I have a lot of my plate, it becomes more annoying than anything.

One more thing to add on this, say I change cases, and psu and the issue still persists. the Logical next step would be the mobo right? is there not much of a chance my GPU could be causing it? Would the CPU be a greater chance at that point?

is it water cooled? air cooled? do you frequently clean out the case? a good dusting can help with a lot of random weird issues. (at least it has in the past)

Definitely clean out the dust. I'm setup in a room that gets super dusty so I have to clean it out once every two weeks... I can wipe off the top and in the morning it will be covered with a thin layer.

Air cooled, I do try to clear it out once every couple of months. I had just cleaned it out at the beginning of September.

1 Like

take the mobo outside the case lay it on its box connect everything and fire it up outside the case.
And check if you still have issues.
Also check every usb port on the board if you can see any physical damage on the pins and such

Also the Msi 970A- Gaming is not a great board to put a FX8 core chip on at all.
Atleast not if you tend to overclock.
BUt yeah i wouldn´t even recommend to invest any more money in an old am3+ platform anymore. tbh.

Upgrading from a FX6300 to a FX8xxx doesnt realy make much sense at all in your case, from a gaming perspective.

fx-6350 is as good as it's gonna get for gaming as most games only use 4 cores and since the 6350 is a 6 core that leaves 4 cores entirely for a game while the other two handle background stuff, google chrome, etc etc.

Understood, well it seems the cable side of my case was causing the short, but the only issue i have now is when I play a game like League and I am using my head set. When the game is in the client and it switches from client to load screen and again from load screen to game it will not recognize my headset for a few second, and when it comes back it will auto mute my mic. my headset is a logitech g35. This happens still whether it is the usb header or the usb ports through the back..