Return to Level1Techs.com

I can read, amazing right? - Discussion on forum symbols

web_design

What's up with the symbol only buttons beneath my threads? Am I excepted to freaking decipher your website functions from a few damned pixels? HELL NO! I can read perfectly well god dammit! JUST GIVE ME THE TEXT!

I'm sorry about the language,I really am, but seriously, please, don't make functions un-decipherable at a glance. Interpretations of icons are subjective. Written language is objective, please use a objective language to communicate your intention! It's the freaking basis of culture! How hard can it be?!? Are you ancient Egyptians or something, huh?

DO NOT USE FREAKING HIEROGLYPHS!

Again sorry for the language, I'm merely trying to convey my feelings about the matter.

0 Likes

I will help you out fam.

Link
Flag
Bookmark
Edit
Trash

in no particular order

0 Likes

Hover cursor over hieroglyph to get written language translation.

10 Likes

grumble grumble tooltips something something molehills

0 Likes

The language is absolutely unnecessary. You can perfectly articulate yourself without it. Consider this next time, as it just appears to us as a post that should be locked.

On your actual concern. Is there any in particular which aren't obvious? All icons are fairly well established symbolisms. To replace them all with just text would take up far to much space. Not to mention that you can hover over them and get text. The symbols are also not our specific doing, they are standard the the forum software.

.. I also wonder what you do with literally everything in life. Symbols are used everywhere.

4 Likes

6 Likes

I hope you step on Legos.

also.

☞︎◆︎♍︎&︎ ⍓︎□︎◆︎❒︎ ♍︎□︎◆︎♍︎♒︎ ⍓︎□︎◆︎ ⬧︎⧫︎◆︎◻︎♓︎♎︎ ◻︎♓︎♏︎♍︎♏︎ □︎♐︎ ●︎♋︎⌘︎⍓︎ ♋︎⬧︎⬧︎ ♐︎◆︎♍︎&︎♓︎■︎♑︎ ⬧︎♒︎♓︎⧫︎ ⧫︎♓︎⧫︎⬧︎

3 Likes

Its totally unnecessary to express youself with language like that to make a point.
If you want to learn more about discourse, you can allways checkout https://meta.discourse.org.
But i think that the symbols underneath a post are pretty straight forward.
and if you move your mouse over it, you will get a discription of what they are.

2 Likes

Also you might wanne checkout our new rules and faq´s.

2 Likes

ಠ-ಠ

Do you have a car? If you do, driving it must be a torture for you.

3 Likes

looks at thread

3 Likes

Use words instead of symbols. Make the forums great again!

1 Like

Is this going to be like circle vs square avatars all over again?

1 Like

yes except nobody agreees with the OP.

1 Like

Queue another Vaping Illegal in 2018

0 Likes

nah this time its an expert. hes been on the forum for 3 years. So he has done a lot of research to come to this genius conclusion. So i agree it should be Text! ASCII Art Symbols!

2 Likes

Everyone's allowed one bad day. Its all good.

3 Likes

closed #18
0 Likes