I am having DNS problems with a router how do i fix it?

Ok i am moving in with a friend,and we the internet temp set up till i get moved in we right now only have a Linksys WRT54G(non speed boost verison)and had no problemswith just the modem,but he needs the wireless for his laptop so we can't just use the modem for now.

Now what happens is 3+ times a day it internet will stop working and it will say something about DNS(idk exactly what is said cause i am not moved in yet lol)and if we reboot the modem and router it will work agian for a while,also the router settings are currently stock expect i set up a password on the wireless.

I am still a little bit of a noob with routers,plus i have to pass the way to fix it,to some one who,when i went up to find out why the wireless(which he tried to set up himself)was not working at all,it turned out he was trying to use a wired only router and he used the wrong power cord for it lol.

Well, for starters you should login to your router and check the DNS settings. Be sure you're wired into your router rather than connected wirelessly. 

You find out how to login by going to your start menu (assuming you're on Windows) and opening up a new command prompt window. You can do this by going to start > all programs > accessories and opening up a command promp there, or just type "cmd" without quotes into the search box in your start menu and press enter.

Once this window pops up, type "ipconfig" and then press enter. This should bring up a bunch of information, like so: 

The information you need to know is under "default gateway". There will be an IP address, possibly similar to that of mine. Open up your favorite web browser (Chrome) and enter that in the address bar and hit enter. You should be prompted to enter login credentials. Seeing as you've reset that router some times, it should be default, which is username: <blank> (leave this blank), password: admin. This should be the default login for your router. 

On the "basic setup" screen under "setup" should be two lines for your DNS server. (Sometimes DNS1/DNS2) For line one, enter 8.8.8.8 and for line 2 enter 8.8.4.4. This is Google's DNS server, which is one of the best DNS servers I've used, and it's free! Your ISP's DNS server generally sucks and will often re-route you to their shoddy search engine when you mistype a URL.

Apply the changes and you're off.

Go back into that command prompt window and enter "ipconfig /flushdns" and hit enter. After that completes, type "ipconfig /renew".

You're done at this point. If this doesn't solve your problem, report back and we'll move onto the next steps.  

Sorry i did not reply to this eariler but a lot of stuff has been going on.

Ok so i tried what you said,and it still happens not as often,but it still happens here is the error i get in google chrome when it does happen.

The server at www.google.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.

On his PC ... try this https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using