I accidentally Ryzen 9

I accidentally bought a Ryzen 9 3900X for $139. Will it work with my ASRock B450 Steel Legend? I know it’s compatible, but am I going to get all that from it? It’s way better than the 2400G I’m using. I’ve thrown a 570 4gb GPU in. I won’t get it until next month, but I’m wondering will I get a lot from it or should I be saving for way better hardware? I still want gen 3 compatible nvme. Not willing to upgrade to the Gen 4 nvme yet.

It should, assuming you UEFI is up to date. So then I would suggest a UEFI update before putting it in.

All B450 boards are supposed to work with all Ryzen 3000 chips.

Did you happen to get it from Amazon US?

1 Like
  1. Damn nice find
  2. It is supported by the mobo (from Bios 2.30 onward)
  3. Make sure to have some airflow in the VRM area (maybe running the rear case fan as intake and top exhaust?)

This board have a sad 4 phase VRM and it’s a testament to what AMD have done with those CPUs, that a sad little 4 phase VRM can carry this processor no problems.
Hopefully your case have a decent airflow.

Your board have one NMVe x4 and one NVMe x2, so keep that in mind as well. You can still use drives like the ADATA SX6000 or Kingston A1000, that are x2 instead of the full x4 bandwidth.

By the way, what are you gonna use your system for? Gaming and basic stuff won’t even bother the CPU. Heavily multithreaded workloads like server stuff and simulations and VMs and content creation and what not - now in this case you may want to consider a motherboard with more solid VRM at least…

Yes Amazon US. It was right when I saw the XT CPU announcement and someone may have changed it thinking they’re worthless now.

I have P400 case. Excellent airflow and considering an aio in the future. I’m considering getting rid of my RGB RAM also. But I’ve heard the stock cooler for this is actually good. The 2400G cooler hasn’t given me issues, and I’ve hammered my CPU. But I think it’s 4 core 4 thread. So doesn’t take much to max it out.

1 Like

congratulations!!!

but keep saving some money for a future upgrade, your VRMs might get cooked sooner than with the 2400G

pump airflow up

I saw the same thing then, my pcpartpicker alert went off. However, I did not jump on it since the seller had two stars.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.