Hypothetical question about modems

Could you wire two modems (dsl to dsl) together and create a point to point network??

1 Like

Directly together? Probably not. Why?

Because if it works… I want to experiment

Do you mean actual modems, or are you talking about routers?
There are a variety of ways you can connect routers together to create a network. For example I have my do-work-machines and datahoarding stuff wired to a 10g switch, which connects to secondary router, which wirelessly connects to my main one as a client. This is nice because this provides some nice and easy segregation, no one connecting to the main router can see anything that’s connected to the secondary router.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

Not sure what the goal of connecting two modems would be.

A dsl modem just translates your ethernet traffic into a signal that can traverse the phone line without interfering with the voice traffic. So, yes, you theoretically connect two dsl modems directly to each other with a phone line and then connect a nic to each modem and then create a p2p connection. But I imagine most consumer dsl modems/software are designed to work with the phone carriers infrastructure, not interface directly with another modem. Incidentally, that’s exactly how old 56k, 28k … modems used to work. You could dial your friend’s modem (or bbs) telephone number and create a direct network connection.

1 Like

dsl modems

I don’t know quite enough, but im pretty sure you’d need a server between to handle the PPPoA/oE connections as the modems likely won’t be able to handle authentication requests.

1 Like

I mean if its machine to machine and you have a thing in the center as a processor for random requests from each host?

Probably, but not using 2 basic 2wire etc modems.

For DSL / ISDN you need a line simulator plus a good bit of extra equipment. At which point you could be your own ISP.

But for dial up modems all you need is a null cable and you can start sending data from machine to machine albeit slowly.

3 Likes