Hypervisor Preference Poll

i used citrix back in 2014-15. that server died off. and when i finally got to build a new server last year i installed proxmox. been happy having it running.

1 Like

That’s the more pragmatic position to “no vmware” and I think it’s very well reasoned.

Grafana is your friend.

Proxmox itself should have ZFS support for pool monitoring. I don’t remember, haven’t played with it in a while.

You don’t need something so crazy. I’ve got a Dell R510 12 bay if you want it, I’m considering getting rid of it on the cheap. It’s got an IT flashed HBA as well. Just don’t have any use for it, and it sucks down more power than I like (~150w at $0.48/kwh is not fun)

1 Like

Grafana running from an 8GB Pi4 is on my homelab to-do list also. Looks pretty nifty.

2 Likes

I was gonna set it up, then I realized that it would basically be half the resource utilization of my cluster to do it.

1 Like

It does, I just…well I’m learning… lol I do have a 8gb pi4 floating around amongst the now 6 pcs in my office…I need to cut back lol I am sending spare server parts back! I may have a buyer for one of my custom loop pcs I’m trying to sell. Either the x570 5600xt with a 2070super, or the b550 3700x and 1660ti…

2 Likes

I have a t320 ill be upgrading to a t420… and the x470d4u server with a the ryzen 2700… I don’t need that much central storage but would be nice lol. I just may have to rotate my storage as the t320 has more space now, but I think I want it as a backup server. Besides to cloud image and on site bluray bu for my vital files in a fire safe.

1 Like

That perfectly sums up my position on Proxmox. (and debian for that matter)

1 Like

Soon you’ll get one of those emails from $online_retailer about how they’ve noticed you have a higher than average return rate and are just curious that everything is going ok. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve already gotten offers for my “company” from suppliers. Lol that was before covid/gpu craze… I built 4 systems last year all with custom loops…for fun…just because. I was bored. I also wanted to really give AMD a go finally after being intel so long.

I thought my build was bad, but you just put my concerns at ease.

1 Like

I saw yours came out great!

1 Like

Yeah, I really need to do a proper build log. :thinking:

Might throw up some images of later today. Gotta clean off my desk for showcase.

1 Like

I should do a thread also. It’s getting pretty mad science-ish in here at this point.

2 Likes

Yeah may have skewed from to original poll.

2 Likes

I should hop on the discord or whatever l1 has equivalent.

Yeah, we’ve got a discord.

2 Likes

I voted “other” since I’m using primarily virt-manager on top of qemu/kvm. :rofl:

I’ve got a VM running on the freenas box also, but moving that on to a pi is also on the homelab list.

2 Likes

I’m using Xen at the moment but I miss the ease of ESXi.

Edit- keep in mind Xen is a gui as well. Kudos to these peeps that virtualize via CLI.

Honorable mention to unraid, whenever I Google how to virtualize and self host something an unraid tutorial is usually in the results. It’s great to have a lot of support and an active community.

1 Like

Started with Unraid a bit ago but moved to Ubuntu Server 20.04 with mainly containers. Trying to learn it all through the CLI before I move to something graphical. I also wanted something where I can move my mdadm RAID1 around. I also want to try all my open source/free options before settling with a paid OS. Except Windoze, ain’t nobody got time for that.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.