Hydrogen fact or false?

excatly which is why I would be more worried about the fuel and the air fuel mixtures and the senors rather than a huge chunk of steel. I would say the last thing to fail would be the engine block it self. It all depends on how he puts it into the engine. However this video is total bs he doesnt even show his engine setup. Its possible to do it and Im sure you can run an electrolyzer off your alternator not to power the car and the hydrogen production at the same time but im sure you can do it. Its not a bad idea and its feasible but it would be easier if you got the hydrogen from solar.

a better idea would be to make a wood gas converter, fill it with wood chips, stick the unit in the back of a pickup truck and pipe the wood gas into the fuel inlet to power the car.

Thing is, I'm not sure if fuel-injected cars would work. You might need a carbureted engine to run it.

1 Like

so charcoal gas? lol

they have done studies on it, and generally, hydrogen is less energy dense while being more volitial than gasoline.

making it a very impractical power source

Well, apparently we could just simulate it to get an answer:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/quantum-computer-google-molecule-simulation,32278.html

1 Like

70 percent of his fuel was going out his tailpipe? Where did he get his inspection sticker?
During my last hazmat recert exam for my CDL I do not recal hydrogen in glass mason jars as remotely kosher. Oh thats just hydrogen gas officer:)
Hydrogen is rarely used as a rocket fuel anymore, kerosene won that battle.

So thats why the Space Launch System is using hydrogen right now, and is set be using liquid methane in its final form.

Space X uses Kerosene.

SLS is big gov. Space X, Delta, Atlas, and all the up and coming countries use Kero. The huge F1's from apollo even used it and were cheaper to make the the smaller J series. Combustion chambers have to handle 5 times the pressure and to make matters worse is the volume problem. You gain efficiency at enormous cost.
SLS is pork
I think this thread is cool:) Thanks , way better then mine:)

Another reason this "hybrid system" is not used is because the reaction is not clean, simple, or sustainable.

1) Metal plates don't last long at all...
2) MANY side reactions take place because water isn't pure once the impurity needed to make it conductive is introduced. Side reactions produce many poisonous gasses like chlorine and hydrogen peroxide.
3) Too much added weight and complexity given the small efficiency increase.

I was just having a pointing out moment, not so cut and dry.

Delta... Uses Hydrogen...
Atlas second stage also uses Hydrogen still, though the first stage uses Kerosene.

Hydrogen is not a good idea for cars. It uses more energy to create hydrogen that it produces. Until we get massive algae farms producing hydrogen its not worth it.

2 Likes

Or mine it from asteroids...

Okay so I've only seen one comment about this so I want to point it out. Where is the energy coming from? You can't product brown gas without breaking water. You can't break water without energy input. You can't product energy to input without running the engine. This system is a circle. You're burning fuel to generate fuel to burn to generate itself.

I can't speak to the "less gas going out the tailpipe" bit but you're throwing away energy to store energy in another source. If this storage medium was providing a benefit of some kind then I would understand, but it would have to compensate for the 90%~ energy loss going from a chemical(hydrocarbon) to kinetic to electric to chemical(HO) to kinetic again. This only makes the 20%~ efficiency of internal combustion engines even worse.

Also, he isn't offsetting shit. He is releasing Hydrogen into the atmosphere which will naturally bond to Oxygen to make H2O.
The level of stupid...

Umm all enegery resources are like that. Ever hear of thermodynamics. You can't get more enegery from less. Where you get that enegery is different. You can easily produce enough hydrogen from solar. They already do it in Europe.

Umm since when do this happen spontaneously. Hydrogen is what is being burned. Granted you won't have 100% burn but hydrogen won't bond with oxygen with out putting some enegery into it. More likely it will just escape the earths atmosphere and be lost to space.

preaching to the choir. That was the point I was getting at. Not all area's use clean power. In my area they still produce power through coal power plants. So you are still using dirty energy no matter what. If we keep at it we will eventually all be using Clean power. Not accounting the nasty materials that are needed to create solar cells and all the electronic components.

It's not fast but it happens. If it is exposed to a catalyst or enough heat then it will happen much faster.
https://www.quora.com/Under-which-situations-will-hydrogen-and-oxygen-gas-form-water
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080612020023AAP3ySR

Im not talking dirty energy at all. Im talking all energy. no matter what it is inefficient. youre algae farm super inefficient.

We should just build a tiny pocket universe and introduce the inhabitants electricity generated by jumping up and down on power generators. Then we can those for our car batteries.

1 Like