Hyde, a DIY 3D-printable case: 8L with 3.4 pci-e slots, bifurcation & sfx-l support

Case dimentions: 74329331 mm (w d h)
Stand dimentions: 12432926 mm (w d h)
Cpu cooler height: 50mm (+1mm for cleareance)
Pci-e card size: 127~135, 305, 3-slot + 9mm (height, length, thickness)
Power supply: sfx & sfx-l, with ventilation holes on both sides, in case you want to flip it around.
Storage: 2 * 2.5" 15mm thick (Only with sfx power supply)
Cooling: 2 * 120x120x15 fans (If the last pci-e slot is unpopulated)

Riser configurations:
-10cm 90 degree: 2-slot gpu
-10cm 270 degree: 2-slot / 3-slot gpu
-10cm 90 degree + 1U riser (20.32mm) + peine braun bifurcation riser x8x8 left turn 1 slot distance: 2-slot gpu + 1-slot pcie.
In theory you could even create a custom x4x4x8 bifurcation riser, or use a sas 8i server one, but that’s quite expensive.

Bom, stl & step files:

Original sff forum link:

5 Likes

Seeing 3D printing getting more use is amazing. But that case looks an awful lot like the sentinel case, if I’m not mistaken.

honestly not really any innovation there if you ask me, its a rectangle with a standard design pcb in it. I am sure Dell/HP etc have had similar cases with different plastic around it.

1 Like

Absolutely. I find disingenuous posting something like this on the internet since I think it’s straight up ripped off from an already existing product.
But I also understand that it’s not easy making something original when it comes to cases since components are standard and they can fit together only in certain ways.

There is nothing illegal about building your own copy of an existing product. If you were to try and sell them then it becomes an issue. (not a lawyer but pretty sure you can make w/e you want as long as you dont attempt to pass it off as another product and dont commercialize it )

1 Like

So all the back to back cases are a ripoff the dan a4 or the ncase m1?
And what about the sleiger conswole?
I had this idea before the sentry 1.0 was even born. The internal support structure is completely different.
My design differs because:

• 3 slot gpu support
  • sfx-l psu support
  • 2 * 120 mm fan support
  • supports multiple pcie risers
  • thicker 2.5" drive support
  • is designed for 3d printing and cannot be manufactured with sheet metal
  • has an internal thickness of 70mm which is exactly the size of an 2.5" hdd, so if your gpu is shorter you can modify the design and add as many drives as you want.
5 Likes

Actually noone has ever released anything that has similar component positioning and orientation. It is a rectangle, because all the component standards are rectangles and the point is to minimize size and space usage. Anything other than a rectangle results in waste of space or lowers structural strength, which is important because the case is plastic and plastic can deform ever so slightly even at room temperature.

There is a lot of work behind this, airflow simulations, strength tests, noise optimizations. I have about 130 revisions.

2 Likes

I’m very sorry if my comment came up as a offensive towards your original goal. It wasn’t at all what I meant to say and I’d like to apologize for it.

I just noticed a lot of similarities and pointed it out that could’ve surely been worded better than they were.

Can’t deny that it has more features and different layout on the inside. I also said that there’s not much that can be done regarding components positioning so I commend you for effort in designing something yourself that fits your needs and might fit others too.

2 Likes

This is amazing, thank you.

Out of curiosity, and just for fun, how many test prints did you do, and what went wrong?

1 Like

with 130 revisions everything that could go wrong went wrong at some point…
but still for a 3d print case its epic.

Almost all issues were encountered on the cad design phase, here are a few:
-Pci-e risers are weird, there isn’t any standard for mounting, and most companies don’t release accurate drawings with dimentions, a lot of trial and error.
-I got dimentions wrong in many places and I had to redo a lot of things and validate my design with reference cad files from grabcad.
-Perforation patterns were changed a few times. I tried hexagons, they are cool, great for airflow, but they dont handle perpendicular forces very well. Small circles require a lot of retractions and aren’t suited for 3d printing.
-Designing parts so that they mostly experience forces along the xy print direction to improve strength.
My printer can’t handle the temperatures required to print in polycarbonate, but I did 3 airflow / strength test prints in petg.

2 Likes

Fascinating work! I want to design a case for a NAS which fits a uATX motherboard. I want to combine some existing ideas to make it hotswap ready. Any pointers? I’ve just started with CAD and would do this mostly to learn.

I use FreeCAD.
Grabcad has many models that you can use to validate the design.

Here is a 3d printable atx case that looks properly designed:
https://grabcad.com/library/open-frame-atx-mid-tower-1

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 273 days. New replies are no longer allowed.