Hybrid USB-C KVM idea

The USB-C KVM and the regular DP 1.4 KVMs are really cool. Have you guys thought about doing a hybrid, perhaps to work around the limitations the USB-C KVM has with the switches?

For example something along the lines of:

PC 1 Ports: USB-C (no power delivery), DisplayPort
PC 2 Ports: USB-C (display and power delivery)
Console: DisplayPort, USB, etc…

The idea is if you have a gaming PC you’ll want to use PC 1 and plug your graphics card into that. And if you have a work laptop, you’ll likely want a 1 cable solution and probably don’t care about the display fidelity as much.

And then if you could load the back side up with more than 1 USB 3.0 port, you might be able to eliminate the need for hubs or docks. (4?)

My current setup consists of a TrendNet KVM, USB 2.0 dock plugged into the TrendNet (since it’s 2.0 only), and a Caldigit TS 3 dock. It would be pretty sweet to consolidate those 3 boxes down into one. – I also use USB audio with a DAC/AMP stack.

The only thing I really use on my Caldigit dock are the USB ports, DisplayPort, and the Ethernet jack. If you could also somehow give PC 2 a 1 Gig Ethernet (assuming PC 1 has it built-in), that would be icing on the cake.

Lastly one question of curiosity: Why 4 HID ports? With the existing KVMs have you guys had an issues flashing a keyboard with QMK, or mice not respecting DPI settings? I’ve had that happen with my TrendNet causing me to use a hub, so just wondering about that one. – Looking to get the 1 monitor 2 computer KVM to replace my TrendNet and wondering if I’ll be able to utilize those ports.

I happened to be researching this today and found your post. Then about an hour later I saw this!

USB-C Centralizer: DisplayPort PC to USB-C KVM Solution

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.