Huge memory usage in Fedora KDE (20GB+). Help finding leak?

That’s why I stopped using KDE. That fucking memory leak would eat up 32GB of ram after 5 days.

I’m not sure why this isn’t a higher priority to fix. It really needs to be, considering it’s definitely a primary reason KDE cannot become the default DE on a mainstream distro.

2 Likes

No joke, that some serious mem hogging.

I’ve been fortunate, I guess. Of all the issues I have on a Linux DE, memory usage ain’t it lol.

1 Like

I’ll take memory leaks over screen tearing tho.

cue nam flashbacks

1 Like

Hmmm how annoying. I’m pretty sure this is a new-ish thing to my install though, although I have had memory leak issues in the past caused by some widgety plasmoid type things. Does the fact the restarting plasmashell doesn’t free the memory imply it’s something other than the DE? Thanks for your input all.

Edit: logging out and back in again doesn’t free the missing memory. Logging out, switching to run level 1 and running free -g still reports 9GB of memory used (I’ve restarted since the 25+GB was being hogged). Is it still reasonable to assume this is a KDE problem?

Do you still have a gnome-session?

Try to logto on it and see the ram usage. If it’s solved you’ll probably need to purge the kde install and make it again

I don’t believe there’s a gnome-session running, but gnome is still installed. Searching in htop for gnome-session highlights this process, but it looks like gnome-session is just an argument.

/usr/libexec/at-spi2-registryd --use-gnome-session

This doesn’t report to be using any memory though.

Is it a common Problem? Is there a bug report for it? I’m currently running Plasma on Fedora 31 haven’t had a Memory Problem so far. I haven’t installed the KDE Spin though. I started with “Regular” Fedora and Gnome and installed Plasma after Gnome locking up on high HDD Use.

Yeah, I started with Fedora Gnome and installed plasma later too. I was really enjoying it, much more than Gnome. I’ve installed i3 and am using that for today to see if the issue improves without a plasma session running

1 Like

That was the idea I was trying to give. Staying in another session to verify if it’s a plasma thing.

Judging by the screenshot there are way to many plasmashell processes running. I have only one of them active. Not sure why there are so many processes running for you.

might have been a dnf fuck-up (rare but possible)

After a day or so of running i3, the problem is still present! I was hoping a this would solve the problem temporarily at least! I closed everything before I went to bed last night and 4.9GB was reported used (still way too much, it had been climbing thoughout the day). Now it’s at 7.1GB. Does anyone have any sort of clue about a way to begin troubleshooting this? Otherwise I might start preparing to nuke it and make a fresh install - it has been a while (and 2 DE’s) I 'spose. Aremis suggested dumping the memory and inspecting the contents, which sounds potentially promising but also a bit over my head.

You could build a script that’ll set your whole environment once you make a new install, I don’t know how, but it’s possible, so if something goes wrong again you have your quick way to recover the system from a nuke.

I have no idea how to help with the memory leak tho. Maybe if you have set LVM on the last install you could save your files from the nuke, not sure tho.

I would have nuked it from day 1.