HP Thin Client

hello everyone
i just recently bought a pair of hp compaq t5000 thin clients and i was wondering if anybody tried installing linux on it but be aware that my thin clients have VIA Eden 800 MHz
64 MB Flash,128 MB
RAM and i'm currently struggling to install any form of linux because no matter what distro i try it always fails so any form of help would be appreciated

1 Like

mine has debian on it. mine is also a geode based processor with 512MB RAM and a 512MB drive. debian is installed to a 16GB thumb drive, and has no GUI or Xserver at all.
this serves as a print server, thats all it does. almost all other services are disabled except what is needed to be a print server and it does have access via sshd.
you might need to upgrade the ram to 512MB to make this all work.

yeah i wish i could ram is soldered directly to motherboard as well as the cpu i could upgrade storage with ide to cf card extension but that is all there is i could find out about it

and i forgot to mention it that my thin clients are t5520 so any other suggestions are more than welcome

Slitaz? http://www.slitaz.org/en/about/
Runs on the Raspberry Pi so should run pretty well on that.
Tinycore is a good option too. http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/welcome.html

I had a couple of these from work about a year ago...

In the end, they ended up with puppy Linux on them... Though I never figured out how to install to the flash storage instead of the ram... But then I was, and still am, very very very new to Linux, so someone a bit more knowledgeable then me could probably figure that out :relieved:

Edit: I should mention these were the same model as yours....

Hold either M, G, or F3. Those should get you a menu of some sort.

yeah i wish it was the same as rpi but cpu socket is 386 i believe so any distro i tried has failed spectacularly even the slackware doesn't want to install it gets to the install menu after that when i start the installation in just says that it requires a newer cpu because kernel doesn't support it