Hp server Rompaq

Hi
I Just started playing around with my newly bought Hp servers.

I got 2 new cpus for one of the servers. they are e5450. And they are not supported by the bios.
It shows that i need to upgrade it with Rompaq. And i cant get HP to give it to me since i dont have warranty on them or an support plan. (or what it is called)

So i wonder if someone have any ide on another way to do it or a Rompaq file that they might loose in my direction? :P

The server is a HP DL380 G5 i dont know what more info i need to give since this is my first look at the frustrating world of enterprise servers. :P

//dinez

duckduckgo > "update bios on HP DL380 G5"

first link

From the link:

Use the HP Service Pack for ProLiant. It's a bootable DVD image, which will upgrade all the firmware on your server, including the BIOS.

If you don't have a DVD drive, or don't want to use one, you can use the HP USB Key Utility on a windows computer to create a bootable USB key from the image.

A third choice is to use the iLO console, and mount the image there. This would be the proffered choice, unless you're already standing right next to the server.

HP Service Pack for ProLiant

HP USB Key Utility

Not sure what this Rompaq crap is.

Okej thanks

I will try that when i get home.

Rompaq as far as i have understood is what they call there bios upgrade thing.

/dinez

So i gave narrowed down the error to that i have a big problem with the ILO on the system.

i have had some problems with booting it for some time, and yesterday it didn't boot at all. I looked around and i found a guy that had the same problem. The fans just go on at 100% without booting the server. and then they stay at 100% without booting.

https://community.hpe.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/itrc-264/message-id/82715/print-single-message/true/page/1

This was the solution i found. And i cant seem to get the server do boot from the maintenance usb or a DVD.

I use the newest SPP DVD from HP. do i need an older one? or is there just something wrong with the server?

Or maybe im the problem (most possible)

//dinez

Have you tried pulling out the CMOS battery? i have 2 DL380 G6 servers. They wont boot after a CPU swap unless the battery is pulled and reinstalled. I don't know about the G5s but the G6s will command the fans to maximum without HP HDDs. I also had a bad stick of ram caused one of mine not to boot.

No not for getting the new CPUs to work but i still have the problem when i put back the old CPUs.
And i don't think that i should have the same problem with the server not booting if i have the old CPUs in.

The only way to get it to boot is when i switch dipswitch one over to on (that disables the ILO) and then it starts after 20min.

But i will try removing the Battery when i get home just to see if that fixes the CPU problem.

Is there any problem running the server without the ILO enabled? i have the servers in my house so i dont need the functionality.

//dinez

I have never used ilo on mine. Haven't even attempted to try to use it. Just set up raid through the bios and loaded Proxmox on them. Honestly just assumed ilo is like the Bios update rom disks and needed a valid support plan to access.

Yea but what happens when i disable it in hardware. since the server takes 20min to boot it must do something.
Right now im just guessing.
I did not have time yesterday so i will try to test with the new CPUs. if they work i can live with the 20min boot time:)

Thanks for the help

You can actually pick up Dl380 G7s on ebay for less than 100 bucks without CPUs and memory. Might be an option if you cant bring it back to life.