HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 running Proxmox VE 6.3-2 failing to initialize disk

Hello all,

I am having an issue initializing my disk in Proxmox VE. I’ll break down the hardware and software, then explain a little more:

ProLiant DL380p Gen8
Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2640 v2 @ 2.00GHz x2
8/8 cores; 16 threads
24GB DDR3 RDIMM 1866MHz
HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331FLR Adapter
Smart Array P420i Controller
2x 120GB SSD in Raid 1 for Proxmox OS install
2x 240GB SSD in Raid 1 for Storage of VM data

Both of the logical drives are recognized in Proxmox:

However, when I try to initialize the second logical drive I receive an error:
disk error

I am not sure if there is a compatibility issue I am unaware of, or what the misconfiguration would be to cause this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Does the drive have existing partitions? Proxmox sometimes does weird things if a drive was used before…

Under the terminal try fdisk /dev/sdb Then use d command to get rid of the partitions. Then w to commit your changes. Then see if the web GUI will let you initialize the disk.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply. I entered the commands per your post, but still receiving the same error. I was curious if there could be any issues with the way that I have my raid setup. The raid is being controlled by the 420i card, and I am not very familiar with these types of devices.

I don’t have your specific card model so I can’t really say. You could go back into fdisk and use option g to create a GPT table then option w to commit the just use the web GUI to add LVM or whatever you planned to do with that disk.

Or…

That card supports HBA mode does it not? If so, you could let Proxmox handle the disks instead which is what I would recommend.

1 Like

The HP Smart Array P420i Controller from the research that I have been able to find here & here does not boot from the drives once the hardware RAID is disabled. It looks like someone found a workaround involving skimming serial numbers off of newer model servers on eBay and then using those to download a software update to enable HBA mode. Other users reported back either stating that it doesn’t work at all or that the performance is too slow to recommend anyone take the time to do it in the first place.

The fdisk /dev/sdb then using the g & w command did the trick though:

I really appreciate the help. I think I will look into getting a new controller card for the server, I really don’t see any benefit to using the HP raid system they have, it only seems to limit the server to OSs made around 2008-2015.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.