HP Proliant DL380 G7, drive management (w/ RAID Controller)

I recently bought a HP Proliant DL380 G7. Now I want to run TrueNAS Core on it (not baremetal but through Proxmox). So far I have learned that the onboard RAID Controller cannot be used as an HBA. So I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to still use ZFS in combination with the onboard RAID Controller, for example by creating a LV for each drive and how does this then affect stability and redundancy?
  2. Could I install a LSI 9211-8i for example and connect the drive-bay-backplane with that instead of the Motherboard?

Yes you can connect the backplane to another card. Another option is to see if your model of RAID card can be flashed into initiator target or “IT” Mode. IT mode will allow the card to act like an HBA and passthrough the drives to the OS.

Unless you’re just testing things or messing around, I would not recommend using RAID cards to pass drives through to any OS managed array…especially ZFS.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.