HP printers. How are things working for you guys?

Hello.

Which printers are you - people from the countries where printers probably work and have good hardware and proper technical support - using?
Do you recommend the inkjet PageWide series, like the one Wendell showed?
And enterprise scan gear?

I am asking because here we conclude that the only good printers, laser which are the ones we use, were those from 5 years ago (or more). Nowadays printers seem to be disposable or Enterprises, like HP, just consider that "3rd world countries" should suffer using cheap (trying not to swear) products and excremental technical support.
I work at a non-profit organization that would like to NOT waste money on enterprise gear that doesn't have the properties of perishable products.
Check use-by dates on packaging and pay particular attention to perishable foods, such as vacuum packed smoked salmon or ham and dairy products but mainly to HP gear.

P.S.: Sorry, english is clearly not my first language. :)

I will never forget 10 years ago, when I was working with LaserJet 1100... That machine. Oh, that printer...
After that, everything I have touched from HP was and still is, crap.
I will not recommend HP...

1 Like

The only printer in my house is an HP ENVY 5530 and unsurprisingly it isn't very good. I've had countless issues with it not being detected on the network mostly by Windows machines. I rarely use it myself but my mother uses it on her Notebook/Desktop and she keeps asking me to fix it (which consists of turning it off and on again). Not sure exactly what is causing these issues but it only has 2.4GHz WiFi and I generally never had any issues with it on Linux so I suspect it has something to do with the HP Windows drivers or something similar.

1 Like

I have to say.. after loong time I returned back to a inkjet printer last year; It is a HP Officejet Pro 8620 and so far I am realy pleased. It does what it is supposed to do, is quite fast for a inkjet and so far has not let me down.
Its a workgroup size printer though, but delivers duplex scaning, duplex printing, scan to mail, fax, fax to mail, and so on and so on.. realy featurepacked and the important functions work without communication to the HP mothership =)

1 Like

I know this is almost 2 months old, but I just wanna let you know that I did end up buying the Pagewide 477dw and I've been using it for just over a month now.

It replaced 2 devices in my office (Officejet Pro 8500 multifunction, and Officejet Pro 8100 printer). These were both more home office type printers.

As noted in Tek Syndicate review, there's the full ream paper tray which is really nice. For me this means we are only refilling the tray about twice a week instead multiple times a day.

I also really l like that it has the separate tray for envelopes or one off jobs. This is really great because in the past we'd have to change the tray whenever we needed to do special jobs like printing off a batch of envelopes or labels. Now tray 2 stays fully loaded with copy paper, and we use tray 1 for the one off jobs like label printing and envelopes.

The document feeder is leaps ahead of the traditional consumer/home office multifunction printers.

By comparison on my OP 8500 MFP, you could scan a 2 sided document but it would have to flip the document in order to scan both sides which would often jam and ruin your batch job. On the Pagewide, it scans both sides simultaneously. That's a huge time saver. But it doesn't stop there. The document feeder scans pages about as fast as it prints them which is also a significant performance gain for me.

I don't fax but we scan to email and scan to copy a lot and this document feeder is top shelf.

I never install drivers from the CD. I always just let windows autodiscover and install the printer. I know this means I will lose out on some features possibly like performing some scan operations from my printer but that's fine by me. All my scan/copy needs are perfectly suited by going to the device, and since it prints so fast it's no hassle.

HP has the best web interface of all printers I've used (except Xerox). Epson and Brother dont stand up by comparison. This makes configuration a breeze for an admin that doesn't want to configure using the lcd. Also handy for when you want to fill out the address book.
The only 2 downsides

1) OEM Ink is expensive. (I plan to refill and have an warranty with accidentals just in case)
My ink supplier told me the pigmented formula is the same as we had been using for a different printer so my ink savings will basically pay for the printer in just a few months.
2) The email address book is limited to 15 address. HP Are you efing kidding me? wtf. This is quite literally less than 1KB of memory for email addresses. However, there is a silver lining for bigger organizations because it does support LDAP.

1 Like

Thanks guys! Good to know I am not alone ... in the dark.

1 Like

I shouldn't be saying this, but I work for a large IT corporation and while I don't work in the printer division, I do kind of understand just why printers are seemingly 'cheaply made'. It boils down to cost, and specifically cost savings. It's much easier today for corporations to 'cut costs' by subcontracting the manufacturing process which hurts quality.

I remember the halcyon days of HP being the gold standard for printing and test equipment- I still wax poetically the wondrous HP Laserjet 4, which by the way is still running like new in the Weather Forecasting section on Wheeler Army Air Field. sighs Damn, I'm getting old.

I have an officejet 4630 for a year. No problems. Its slow to print though.

We have a HP OfficeJet 8600Plus, mainly purchased for the 2-sided scanning and printing. Does the job, works in Windows and Linux (both printing and scanning) so I can't complain.

I bought an HP Officejet 5740 earlier this year, and have been happy with it so far.

it replaced a year old Epson XP-320 that I had issues with, which replaced a several year old Lexmark S605 which was great until the print head messed up, and the replacement from eBay also didn't work.

I have an OfficeJet 8600 Plus at home, and it hasn't faulted me so far!

At work we have small fleets of Color LaserJet CP2025's (endless problems with these) & LaserJet P2055dn's (nowhere near as many problems, they get the job done).
We also have a few stray random individual ones, which all work reasonably well (most are quite old):
-LaserJet 600 M602
-LaserJet 4250
-LaserJet P2015
-LaserJet P1505n
-LaserJet Pro P1606dn

We did consider PageWide printers some time before Wendell's review on them, but we ended up opting for Xerox laser copiers, which already make up the bulk of our fleet and are super reliable.

1 Like

hey everyone,

im running an HP laserjet Pro MFP M127FW that I picked up for like 140$ at staples.

it scans, copies and prints well although only in black and white but I don't need a colour printer. it have all 4 windows machines connected just fine. hp did used to make the best and so far they seem to be the least shitty printers for the price. all i know is when i tell it to do something it does it and doesnt bitch about it. so good enough for me

I just wanted to post an update about my HP PageWide 477dw. Since I’ve been in using this for 4 months now.

I’ve been refilling the cartridges. Pro tip, refill before they get empty and you wont get a warning about reusing old cartridges. However in doing so. We just got our first “error”. After having printed over 7,000 pages. I got a warning that continuous ink systems are not supported, so it forced me to replace my black cartridge.

I bought a new cartridge and everything is back to normal. I suspect I’ll be able to refill the original cartridge and keep swapping these two cartridges but time will tell.

I am getting an issue with the print heads smudging and not printing on some parts. Clean print head operation sometimes fixes this but not for long. I do have a full 3 year warranty so I might call and see about having them send someone out to fix this. But for now its manageable. And since I’m refilling it doesn’t bother me to waste a couple sheets here and then printing test pages and clean operations etc.

[update 2017-08] Printer still running strong. No more issue with smudges as I reported previously. Just a few more clean operations fixed the problem. As far as refilling cartridges. Still doing that AND happy to report that I was able to successfully leapfrog cartridges after getting the error about not being compatible with continuous ink cartridges.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: HP Printer Recommendations

@caprica please consider making a new topic as it has been 2 years since you revived this topic.