HP Omen 2016 Laptop GPU Passthrough

Hello everybody!

I’ve been looking around forums for GPU passthrough for laptop but haven’t been able to find much.

My laptop has i7-6700HQ with Nvidia 965m and 32GB of RAM

What I wanted is to get Linux as primary OS and just have Windows as VM for some gaming where I’d like to passthrough dedicated GPU and to use Linux with integrated GPU.

CPU supports VT-x and VT-d but I’m not sure how laptops handle switching between graphics and weather it got changed or not through generations.

So my question is weather this is possible or not on laptop? Some how to link or any pointer towards this goal would be much appreciated.

In addition to the CPU the mainboard has to support passthrough as well. Most laptops don’t

1 Like

Yes, but question is how to know if my model supports it or not?

I know there have been 3 most common implementations for discrete gpu and iGPU switching and only on some this is possible.

1 Like

anyone with knowledge regarding this topic replying would be greatly appreciated.

@wendell

Thanks.

The mobo needs to support IOMMU, meaning Intel Vt-d support is needed for PCI passthrough (or AMD-VI on team red). Vt-x is only CPU accel, most laptops only support the latter, but there are exeptions.
Check the BIOS if you have any options to enable either IOMMU or Vt-d.

If your laptop cannot switch to a “dGPU only” mode, then it is MUXless.

The problem of MUXless laptop is you can’t get your firmware loaded. You can see you dGPU in the VM, can install nvidia driver, but the driver try to load the dGPU firmware through system BIOS as it always did outside the VM, which then appear as Code 43 in device manager. Not sure there is any solution for this right now. Also heard that nouveau works.

Check out here for some more information.

Thank you @Misairu_G,

This appears to be excellent guide!

I’ll play around with this in upcoming week and send some feedback if anyone is interested.

If anyone else finds different solution please let me know.

Cheers!