HP OEM Motherboard - Boot Issue

So, I’m trying to boot to the BIOS screen for my HP desktop with a graphics card in and it’s not working for some reason. I get beeping and clicking noises as a result from the system rejecting the graphics card. This is the 3rd graphics card now that I’ve tried and it’s the same result. I’ve tried clearing CMOS and that seems to have done nothing to solve the issue. I am running the latest BIOS as well. The motherboard is an IPISB CU. Help on this would be appreciated.

How powerful is this GPU?

And what is the wattage of the PSU?

The GPU is very low end, just a Zotac GT 710 PCIe 1x. The power supply isn’t the issue either as I have tried with other power supplies as well.

1 Like

Did the HP machine come with the graphics card originally?

No. But even though that’s the case, I find it strange they would provide 4 PCIe slots if they won’t even allow for something as basic as a graphics card (as it seems anyway). It’s very strange.

It doesn’t seem strange from my point of view. In my experience, I cant change a fucking wireless NIC with HP laptops.

1 Like

That’s a bit different though…

I mean the concept is the same, HP could be trying to prevent add-in cards that would improve longevity, which would then reinforce the consumer to buy a new PC.

Do you think it would be possible to program a BIOS in such a way to a point where it would specifically be able to detect graphics cards and be able to reject them?

Going to be trying one last power supply. I do not think that will change anything though, as I tried the same power supply with the graphics cards on the system that did get the other two graphics cards working.

Does the Motherboard have a BIOS or UEFI? And does the GPU have dual BIOS or just a UEFI.

If the motherboard only has a bios and the GPU only has a UEFI, that might be why the GPU won’t work on the system.

Have you tried other PCIe cards? NIC’s?

Do you have “option ROM” enabled in the bios for the slot that you’re placing the GPU in?

I would check the HP boards

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00007413

Tried the last power supply and of course, the results are the same. The power supplies are not the issue.

The motherboard has an old style BIOS but is capable of UEFI booting Windows.

GPU BIOS? wtf is that? How would I know/find out?

Just tried with a different PCIe card and the different PCIe card worked fine. It seems to be an issue only with the graphics cards. I don’t know what this means though. I used a PCIe to USB adapter as the different PCIe card.

I think I might have found the issue… unfortunately/fortunately… It turns out the motherboard is a Pegatron IPISB CU, not an HP motherboard. I also thought the B was an 8 so that came out wrong.

It seems like there’s a compatibility issue with the GPU card and the motherboard, something like them not being compatible together, but if that’s the case, then how would I be able to find out what would be compatible with this motherboard?

That is a good question, that I don’t know the answer to. Just something I read online. I’m not really a gamer, so I always just use the integrated GPU. But I do remember seeing people who had compatibility problems with their GPUs because their GPUs don’t understand the BIOS and only the UEFI.

Search for “motherboard model number compatible GPUs”

This is so fucking weird. The graphics card works for a different system that is of the same 1155 CPU socket type.

What the hell?..

with the jumper, right?