HP dose not allow me to install linux

Hi

So I am switching to Linux (or I am going to) see post Pop_os / Windows dualboot SSD problems
and as some people told me I should use a 2. Laptop, if I want to be able to switch back to windows sometime.

Well I still got a old HP EliteBook 840 from where I worked and bought for 100$ And I am planing to use that one.

Now I won’t install Pop!_OS on it.
Everytime I try to boot from my USB iso disk (that works fine in another laptop I have) It says that there is no OS on this disk.
It also dose not work with Ubuntu and i tried Manjaro, same result. I played around the bios settings but I couldn’t find anything unusual to my knowledge.
Could it be because it was a company machine? I could reinstall windows without problems though.

Dose someone know more?

I’d check the BIOS. Disable any secure boot or fast boot. Make sure the USB is selected as the first boot device. Maybe try a different USB port. Beyond that I’m not sure what else to try.

2 Likes

+1 on the different USB ports.

In my experience, most laptops can’t boot from every USB port.

Make sure you’re burning the image correctly. Windows USB keys operate differently than Linux-based boot keys.

Something like Rufus is handy.

1 Like

Uefi or legacy?

This is the opposite of my experience, but not a difficult thing to test.

This 1000x

From what I can tell its UEFI and not legacy but I am not 100% sure.

It’s this (or a very similar) Elitebook like this: YouTube

Turn off secure boot and/or disable tpm in the BIOS/UEFI.

1 Like

I had this on a NUC, and one laptop, would only boot from one of the USB ports.
Both were pretty cheap though, not enterprise kit at all

1 Like

I second this. Check your BIOS/UEFI make sure that secure boot is disabled (most likely culprit).
Verify that the USB stick that you are using is functioning correctly.
Try using different USB ports.

How are you formatting the USB stick? What software did you use to burn the ISO?