How will my Radeon 7850 (2GB) Perform At 1440p

I assume pretty terribly. I'm considering getting a new monitor some people recomend 1440p monitor for future proofing and stuff but i think my machine wont handle it. Also would it do any better if I got another 7850 or a 7870 and put them in crossfire?

My PC Spec's are:

• Intel Core i5-3470 3.20GHz,
  • Gigabyte Motherboard (Can't remember what),
  • Sapphire Radeon 7850 Overclocked,
  • OCZ 650watt 80+ Bronze Non Modular PSU,
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda Sata 3 7200RPM 6GB/s HHD,
  • Some old crappy IDE 350gb drive for backups,
  • 8gb DDR3 Dual Channel 1866mhz,
  • Asus Xonar DS Sound Card, 
  • Nice and sexy 5.1 surround sound system,

I would really advise a single high-tier card before moving onto 1440p. Something like a 7950 or a 770 upwards.

1440p is fantastic, but there's no rush to upgrade. Prices of 1440p panels are dropping all the time.

I agree with berserker on this one. Upgrade your gpu before you decide to go with 1440p.

Are you using a tv at the moment or just a 1080p monitor?

I did write in the doubly-do that i was probally going to have a crossfire setup with a 7850 or a 7870. Sorry if my phrasing wasn't done too well. And at the moment i'm using my TV it's 1080p, 60hz and 5ms delay so it's not too bad but the colours are shite.

The 7850 2GB is a typical 1080p card for gaming, but for watching video it's capable of 4k. So if you want to game at 1440p, you'll be better of selling the 7850 and upgrading to a 7870XT/7950/7970, but if you only want to watch content at 1440p, the 7850 is more than enough. You could also game at 1080p on a 1440p monitor. I find that there is very little benefit to the gaming experience, at least with the games that exist today, to use a higher resolution than 1080p.

Ok this make alot more sense now. How bout going for a 1080p monitor and selling your 7850. 1440p monitors are around 300-400 nowdays so you could sell your card and get a 7950 along side with a 100 monitor.

I can understand why you would want to upgrade to 1440p. TVs aren't the best displays for this purpose.

I haven't honestly seen too many benchmarks for middle tier cards running 1440p or 1600p. You could probably run games. I suppose I should ask what kind of games you want to play? and what 1440p panel are you considering? I might be able to recommend cheaper alternatives. And are you US, UK, or?

I'm in the UK the problem is: I'm 14 so i'm working my arse off for £3.68/hour. I only work at weekends so i get £33.00./ish a week. At the moment i'm after a new CPU and mobo, my current CPU is dying, as well as a Monitor. I normally play BFBC2, FC3, Just Cause 2, Skyrim, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Planetside 2 and hoping to play BF4. Maybe if i got another 7850 and ran both in crossfire 1440p would peform better?  

It really depends what level of savings you have? I think you should take it easy. Upgrade your platform, if you wish. If it is dying, that is kind of a must, before you take care of anything else. Replace your monitor, 1080p monitors start from around £80. With such low earnings, you don't want to spend all your money, dude. You happen to have a really good gaming system, it's a shame that parts are cutting out. Maybe some standard PC maintenance will improve your PC? Clean the dust away with compressed air. Do a disk cleanup. Make sure you don't have lots of programs that open on start up. Do a fresh install of Windows.

I'm not going to say that 7850 CF can't run games at 1440p, I would think it was unlikely that it would perform well. The main purpose of 1440p is to really ramp up details, play on ultra, and just get the game looking at it's best. If you can't play games on highest settings, there is really no point in getting 1440p.

With any system, you should have a balance, and that GPU setup doesn't strike me as balanced with 1440p. As I said earlier, you can buy a 1080p monitor for £80. I would get that now, then think about these more expensive upgrades later. In a years time, it will all be much cheaper. 1440p panels in the Uk start from £480-ish. That's a £400 saving on 1080 vs 1440p.

Okay, thanks for all the help.

No worries. Let us know if you fix whatever problems you might be encoutering with your system. I really do recommend cleaning the system. It will give your platform and disks a new lease of life. I promise you, you have a good gaming system. There are people running APUs that would love to have a computer like yours that can run good 1080p details :)