How Valid is X99 in 2019?

Ryzen? No. Threadripper: yes.

But quad channel memory is super niche - you likely really don’t need it. For most stuff dual channel is fast enough and there’s no benefit going to quad outside of some specific niche uses.

However, it does enable you to do 128 GB in a box instead of 64 GB on consumer platform which can be a sticking point. If you’re on HEDT because you need > 64 GB, Ryzen is a non-starter.

I mean, any architecture is valid. X99 for sure, its still powerful af.

1 Like

The two main reasons for me to stay on X99 is that it is the only HEDT Platform to support all kinds of ddr4 when you run Xeons.
ddr4 Reg ecc can be cheap if you hunt for it.
32GB sub 100€ is rather nice.

And then there are the 40 pcie lanes.

Though the V4 Xeons are all locked, and the V3 Xeons suffer the same IMC issues as the 5960X. You do it for a server, not a workstation.

1 Like

I still use my 5820k x99 system for specific tasks. Say in handbrake, I on average for h265 encoding get 19fps with the 5820k. With my 2700x I get on average 24fps. So not a big jump. Even with gaming I don’t notice a difference. So if you want to upgrade now go for a 9900k or as others have said wait to see what ryzen 3000 will offer.

the v4s are indeed all locked.
what imc issues ?

HW-E has issues scaling over 2666MT/s when you populate all available slots, and 1T with any tertiary timing adjustments is pretty much a no-go on anything but the lowest density DRAM. BW-E does much better with DRAM adjustments and stability as capacity scales.

1 Like

There are numerous reports of 5960Xs dying when engaging XMP at full stock.

1 Like

what the actual fuck

Well then i guess i’m lucky that i don’t need to run 8 dimms and have it above jdeec

I believe that had to do specifically with non-verified 3000MT/s XMP-2 profiles that were forcing a 125MHz FSB strap. XMP-1 profiles didn’t require the FSB to be changed.

My first gen Kingston HyperX Predator did that on my 5820K. I spotted it before applying the change and immediately reset the profile. Never managed to run that RAM over 2666 because of that issue.

I’m happy with my x99 system, but sometimes it shuts down briefly in the middle of its boot-up. Is that a sign that the IMC is worn out? For a long time, I ran it with XMP, but stopped doing it when someone told me it’d put in too much voltage on my BIOS if I did that. My RAM though is DDR4-2666 without a strap…

The 58xx and 59xx processors all had poor quality IMCs. Your IMC is definitely degraded by now because it failed at stock XMP for most people.

I could never get a good blck OC on any of my Haswell’s at all. As for my 4790K I could move that a bit and get a good oc.

I7 5930K still rockin Rampage V Extreme, within the last year linus bought X99 for his staff, More seasoned bios and there not much difference between it and X299. Plus you get all the PCIE lanes for way less money, X299 started off at $1000 to get all the lanes. I will wait for PCIE 4.0 before i upgrade.

Yup.

Also certain Asus X99 boards had suffered from a bios bug in a certain bios version,
that caused overvolting the 5930K and 5960X cpu’s.

I love my MSI boards. Granted it has RGB on it, but it had all the I/O that I like on a board. I think the Xpower is a bit better at handling OC’s though. It makes me happy I am not alone with the X99 platform. I was thinking of picking up another Xeon to run VM’s on my 3rd board. Not sure what I want to do.

Sounds compelling, but in me moving to X99 I need to source a RampageDev DMG for OSX to reinstall Hackintosh on my system. I grabbed the X79 DMG before he was taken down.

I did build a Ryzen system but I still have my 5930K and it will be with me for awhile. It has aged very well. If I could find a used 5960X I am sure it will last even longer.

1 Like

If I was buying a CPU in 2017 and didn’t already have an i7 5820K I would have chosen an R7 1700. If you don’t need the CPU performance of the 12 Core and 16 Core Threadripper then you should be fine on X99, I still find my 5820K very usable. The X99 platform is still viable though today, the i7 5820K/5930K/5960X can keep up very well with AMD’s current Ryzen CPUs and offer more PCI-E lanes and quad-channel memory support.

1 Like

I still have a brand new Asrock X99 Fatality professional board sitting in a box.
Unfortunately people don’t seem to be hurried to get rid of their X99 cpu’s.
I’m still looking for a cpu, 8 core at least.
But new they are still too expensive.