[how to]Ubuntu Release Upgrade via Command Line for NEWBS

**************Moved to Linux Tutorial Section********************
SO I just thought Id throw this out to the ubuntu newbs and maybe even some not so newbs..
MUST BE ON NORMAL VERSION RELEASE OR ENABLE IT FROM UPATER.. LTS doesnt work until there is a new LTS

Execute the following commands

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-release-upgrade

To upgrade to a normal release e.g

Normal release update permitted on 14.04
14.04.2>> 14.10

do-release-upgrade

To upgrade to a development release (not recommended for newbs) :D

e.g. 14.10 >> 15.04b1 or 14.10 >> 15.04db (daily build)

do-release-upgrade -d

When warning is given that third party repos are disabled.. hit ENTER to continue

FINISHED!? (not yet ;) )

Now enable all your third party repos once its done

Congratulations your updated...

I hope this was helpful to newbies who accidentally downloaded LTS and want normal release or are daring enough to go to VIVID VERVET (DEV release)

r00tz31820 Out

2 Likes

why not "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" ?

@vapejohn That's upgrading the packages and also retrieving any that it didn't have but need and removing packages. It just updates to the latest of your release. If you're on 15.04, it'll always be the latest 15.04.

sudo apt-get upgrade

Just upgrades the packages.

to upgrade the actualy release when you already have the next repo set you can use "dist-upgrade" but release upgrader is the easiest and results in less issues. Not to mention dist upgrade usually doesnt result in an upgraded release.. It just grabs packages you should have had

Uh, yeah. Was I not clear about that? I replied to @vapejohn about the dist-upgrade.

Ah, I'll just edit it so it's obvious.

My bad... Sorry.. Thought you were correcting me... Ill withdraw my post haha If you click reply directly on his post it will show you replied to him.. thats generally what I go by

Here is a video too if anyone is interested :)