How to tell if i'm picking good PC parts/ PC build?

Ok, this may get confusing, but bare with me. 

That build suggested is ok. It will allow you to do some upgrades later on, but it's limited. Earlier I mentioned each motherboard socket type has a range or series of chipsets. The chipset can be determined in the motherboard model number. For example the board recommended in that build is the Asus A55BM-K. The chipset is A55. For the FM2+ socket motherboards, the A55 chipset is the low-end, A75 is mid-range and A88 is the higher-end. The chipset refers to the set of features and options (in general) as well as the quality of components used. Typically, the higher the better.  So the Asus A55BM-K, while I don't doubt is a decent motherboard (Asus is an excellent brand), it is however limited in terms of features for future upgrades, even though it does have the latest socket type. I'll finish explaining this in a moment...

The CPU suggested in that build is a little on the weak side, even for a budget gaming system (in my opinion). It will work well with the R7-260X graphics card, but once you start upgrading beyond that, it may struggle a little to keep up with demand, especially when running MMO games. For only about $15 more, the Athlon X4 760K will provide significantly better performance and will be more capable at keeping up with future gaming demands. Oddly enough, I've changed my recommendation for you, but more on that later...

A quick note about motherboards and RAM. Dual channel RAM will perform better than a single stick of the same capacity. For example: 2 x 4GB sticks in dual channel will perform better than 1 x 8GB stick. Most motherboards possess only 2 DIMM (RAM) slots, meaning the total number of RAM sticks you can have installed is 2. With 2 RAM slots, this can make things a little tricky because if you want to upgrade your RAM later on, you're either forced to run 1 stick that doesn't perform as well until you're able to add a 2nd stick and run them both in dual channel, or you're forced to replace your existing dual channel sticks with new ones of higher capacity, rendering your old sticks to be kept as spares. One of the cool things about the FM2+ platform is that some motherboard manufacturers offer FM2+ boards with 4 RAM slots at a lower cost compared to other solutions. 

Now, to tie all this together, here's what I would recommend based on your budget, needs and the importance of upgrade-ability. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3gM98

Because you require an OS and monitor included in your total budget, that actually only leaves you with about $300-400 for the actual system itself. The following is a list of what I chose and why:

CPU - AMD A10-6790K - This is what AMD call an APU (Accelerated Processing Unit). It is essentially the same 4 core CPU as the Athlon X4 760K but with an integrated graphics processing unit (iGPU) that will actually deliver decent performance. This means, for the time being, you do not actually need a separate graphics card. I'll talk more about that in a moment.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H - This is really hard to beat at this price point in terms of features and value per dollar. It has 4 RAM slots so you can install dual channel RAM for better performance right from the start and simply add a 2nd dual channel RAM kit later on to double your RAM capacity without having to replace what's already installed. The A88X is the higher-end chipset, so you're getting better quality components which means it'll last longer. You'll also have the option to 2 AMD graphics cards down the road, if you so choose. It also has 8 SATA ports so you can add all the extra drives and storage you could ever want or need, as long as there's room in the case.

RAM - 8GB dual channel (2 x 4GB sticks) at 1866MHz - APUs need faster RAM to perform optimally because the iGPU uses the system RAM and typically the RAM used on video cards is much faster than system RAM. 8GB of RAM is plenty for gaming and will be for quite some time yet. When the time comes that 8GB is no longer enough, you can easily just add another 8GB dual channel 1866MHz kit (2 x 4GB sticks) in the 2 empty RAM slots for a total of 16GB.

Storage - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB HDD - 320GB is not a lot when it comes to gaming. It will fill up fast, especially if it's your main storage drive. I was initially going to suggest a 500GB hard drive instead, but considering the price difference between that and 1TB (twice the capacity) was less than $10, it makes more sense to go with a 1TB drive. I'm using one of these in my own rig and it's a good, reliable and surprisingly fast mechanical drive that should last for many years.

Case - Your choice - I kept the Rosewill case as suggested in the previous build as it's really up to you. Just make sure it will fit a micro-ATX motherboard and you should be fine. Feel free to choose something that looks good to you but fits your budget. 

PSU (Power supply) - EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze - Little bit better quality and higher wattage over the previously suggested. This will provide more than enough stable power if you want to add a fairly powerful graphics card later on. 

Display (monitor) - Acer 21.5" 1080p - Little bit bigger and higher resolution. Once you add a more powerful graphics card, you'll be able to enjoy 1080p gaming as it was meant to be. With the APU alone, you will be able to run some games at 1080p but at lower settings. Alternatively you can try running them at 720p and max settings, which should look pretty decent and give you good frame rates.

Keyboard and Mouse - Up to you.

What I've basically done here is reallocated the cost of the discrete graphics card and spent a little more on certain components (motherboard, RAM, storage and display) to give you a much better starting point for future upgrades. The compromise is that initially, gaming performance will not be as good with the APU as it would be with a straight CPU + GPU(graphics card) combo, BUT - with this build, you'll be getting a decently strong CPU to begin with and the ability to throw all kinds of upgrades at this later on without having to replace anything to make it work. 

Some may disagree with an APU build, but I've always thought it best to spend a little more up front on certain key components and spend less later on for better performance, rather than have to spend more later on because something is no longer compatible or doesn't support the upgrade you want to perform. Thus, if it were myself in your shoes, I would build something like this and save up to add a good mid-range graphics card in the near future. I don't know how easily you can save up money but adding a GPU in the $150-200 range and this would be a really good gaming rig that will easily out-perform the newest gaming consoles for years to come. :)

Hopefully I haven't confused you too much. There is so much to learn and consider when building a PC, especially if you're starting off with very little knowledge. I would recommend going on youtube and checkout videos by Linustechtips and Techquickie he has some great videos explaining some of the basics of PC's and PC components. 

I'm still having some trouble understanding how to tell if certain PC components are better than others. Don't get me wrong i understand more than i did before i came here, but it's still a little bit overwhelming. How did you learn about PC specs?

On a side note there are several "How to build a PC guide" YouTube but will they apply to all PC's including this one? I'm going to look at Austin Evans guide to building PC's by the way. On a side not is there any books/ websites i could buy or check out that would give me a more in detail information about this stuff? I'm looking at the specs at one of the MMO's i want to pay and here are the minimum specs for it.

CPU: Intel Pentium4 2.8 GHz or better

AMD K8 2600 or better

Memory: 4 Gigabytes or more

Hard Drive: 6 gigabytes or more

GPU: 

nVidia GeForce 6600 or better

ATI Redeon X1600 or better

Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

I know i have enough Ram, and hard drive space, but i'm still confused on how to tell if i have the correct CPU, GPU, and sound. This build doesn't look like it comes with a Graphics card, but what about the CPU how can i tell if this that PC can handle it? 

Also can it handle DayZ? minimum specs posted below.

Processor: Intel Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz

Memory: 1GB

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 8600GT or ATI Radeon 3650 or faster with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM

DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c

Hard Drive: 10 GB free space

Yeah it meets those specs.  You'll probably have to dumb down some settings as DayZ is a monster to run, but it should run it at around medium settings at least.

There's no clear way to see if one thing is 'better than another' for this or that application.  You're going to have to look them up when you first start.  Then you have to learn and remember it.  Keeping up to date with the current gen, along with some of the last-gen hardware will help you get up to speed.

I started by pure forum browsing, focusing on one component at a time, and looking at general benchmarks.  After a bit, you see how companies name each line of their products.

As for the minimum specs, those specs are pretty low.  Almost any modern day computer will run that just fine.

The Pentium 4 was good in its day.  It's really old, and that's all I know.  Like now, I don't know everything on it, so with a quick google search brings up an article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4

Skim through it and look for the important points.  It's a single core processor that's at least 6 years old before being retired.  6 years old is a looong time in terms of technology.

Memory is memory.  2-4gigs will get you through browsing, and 4-8 gigs will be fine for gaming.  16+ is for servers, video editing/rendering, and other power tasks.  How do I know this?  Experience and online research.

Hard Drive: Pretty simple.  Storage space.  Any half decent hard drive within the past 8 years should have enough storage for 6 gigs.

GPU: Anything, really.  The 6600 is old.  I have not researched all the way back to that card's release, but Nvidia's naming scheme tends to have their first number indicate what generation of cards they are on.  For instance, the GTX 600 series comes before their 700 series.

ATi no longer exists.  It was bought by AMD.  I don't even know that graphics card, but by its retailer I can see that the graphics requirement for this game is pretty low.

DirectX 9.0 is old as well.  We're on DirectX 11.1 now, with 12 coming soon.

So do some research on each component in a computer.  Then find good builds on forums and such, and see why the pick each part.  It's time consuming, but if you enjoy learning this stuff like I and many others do, then it's great.

Any build guide from any half-famous tech youtuber will be fine from a generalized standpoint.  If you find a build tutorial with the same case that you are using now, it will help tremendously as everything else in the case should be similar.

Those are all great tips and info from Some Tech Noob. Also, just to add; when you're looking at youtube videos of PC builds within certain budgets, be careful to look at the date the video was made because they may be using components that are a generation or two old by now. 

Over the last year, the differences and improvements with each new generation of components have been less significant than previously, but it is still VERY important to go with the latest version/generation of said technology, if you can. Especially if you're starting from scratch with a fresh build.

Like Some Tech Noob mentioned, research as much as you can. It can be daunting at first as there's so much information out there, but after a while you'll start to catch on as to where each component fits in the grand scheme of things.

Don't fall into the pit of fanboy-ism, and don't let anyone try to tell you AMD is better than Intel or Intel is better than AMD. It all depends on your specific needs, budget and personal preference. 

Thanks for the help and build. I have two more questions though.

1. What's an APU build. I assumed by the context it's a build without a graphics card, but i assumed every computer needs a graphics card to play games.

2. What graphics card would you recommend i throw on to this build? Also can you tell me why you recommend this card? 

APU is a CPU with an IGP (an integrated graphic on the CPU). More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Accelerated_Processing_Unit

So far APUs aren't competitive to a CPU with a dGPU.

They are competitive to a certain degree. They are more meant for situations where gaming is not the primary use for the PC but would like the ability to do some moderate gaming, or for someone who wants to get into PC gaming but has a very strict low budget for the initial build.

1.  APU is an "Accelerated Processing Unit", and is pretty much AMD's acronym for saying a CPU with integrated graphics.  The graphics is on the chip itself, and uses the system RAM (currently DDR3) to play your games.  Faster RAM will result in faster and better framerates with an APU.  Of course, the APU has a CPU in it as well.

For Intel's chips, they're not referred to as APUs.  They're just CPUs with integrated graphics.  AMD just thought that their chips had good enough integrated graphics that they could put a fancier name on them.  Any half decent CPU + dedicate GPU will beat an APU, though.

2. If you can afford it, an R9 270 is a great mid range GPU.  It is very strong at 1920x1080 for its price point.

OK thank you!

I wanted to get a wireless network adapter and seen one for 15 dollars. It said it was compatible, but i wanted to make sure. Is it?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/belkin-wireless-network-card-f9l1001

It connects through a USB port.  It's compatible.

Yeah, i see the redundancy in that question.

I just wanted to make sure that it allows me to connect to the internet via WiFi, and i won't be buying the wrong product. There is a possibility i might not be able to directly be connected to my internet box, and i might need to do it via wifi. Ya know, the same way a laptop allows you to connect to the internet without having to be directly connected to the box.