How to set up tiered storage on windows 10

Edit: Sorry for the premature question, after diving deep in the PowerShell commandlets regarding storage spaces I’ve been able to set the number of columns for the HDD Tier of the tiered storace space.
The following two commands need to be executed after creating the disk pool:
$SSD = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName Pool -FriendlyName SSD_Tier -ResiliencySettingName Simple -NumberOfColumns 1 -MediaType SSD
$SSD = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName Pool -FriendlyName HDD_Tier -ResiliencySettingName Simple -NumberOfColumns 2 -MediaType HDD

The rest should work the same.

Hello there! First of all thanks for PowerShell commands for setting up tiered storage.
I’ve been using a simple two-disc striped storage spaces volume to great success for quite a while, but recently an extra 128GB SSD has become available.
The PowerShell commands listed here are seemingly either for 1 or two disks in each tier, but might it also be possible to both use the two disks in the HDD tier in parallel (like in the 2 column simple volume) whilst also using one SSD in the SSD tier?

So far I haven’t been able to find an answer, and my PowerShell-fu is not the best it could be (yet). This forum, and it’s community seemed to be the most knowledgeable and the best place to ask :smiley:

Thanks a lot for posting this!
I’m going to try this with two SSDs (Corsair Force 3 120GB), three HDDs (two 500GB Velociraptors & one WD 1TB Green). Would there be any benefit to mirroring the SSDs instead of setting them to simple?
Thanks again for any input!

Hello everyone, where to start?

Thank you for this solution and for having shared it myself I wanted to try the experience,

as I acquired a 4TB hdd and I had a spare Nvme Crucial P2 SSD I combined them.

But it didn’t work as I wanted 350mb/s read and 350mb/s write

Thanks to your work I was able to get closer to the performance of my basic nvme ssd 2500Mb/s reading and 1500Mb/s writing

my pool option a read and write score of 1200 to 1500Mb/s read and write

I also inquired about the writecache it is the random cache for the iops I put 50go I did not test less or more for this one

but for RND4K (IOPS) 12953Mb/s reading and 43776Mb/s writing

but I think that for the exclusive use for my games will be a big plus I will test it and come back to you

But in any case Play well, champion.