How to remove scratches from an acrylic side panel and how to prevent it from scratching even more?

Around May this year i upgraded my case to a Cougar Panzer MAX, prior to that i’ve only used cases without windowed side panels, i’m really fine with it so far, that is, if it the whole side panel wasn’t scratched up.
There are some deeper scratches around the bottom of the acrylic, which i guess was caused by me accidentally hitting it a few times with a broom (it sits on the floor).
I have successfully removed even worse scratch marks from front panels out of older audio gear with Brasso, a metal polishing solution, but i worry that i could mess the panels up even more, so i would like to hear some suggestions.
And after i clean it up, what should i do to protect it? I was thinking about taking it to the local windows film guy and ask for him to apply a cut of 3M’s Clearbra to the window, how about that?

https://www.amazon.com/Performix-11209-Multi-Purpose-Coating-Aerosol/dp/B000LNN11G

:^)

1 Like

I thought about using that too, but doesn’t it create a funky sattin effect like this?
1c9e2758

1 Like

What about this product? Has anybody used it?
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G12310-PlastX-Plastic-Cleaner/dp/B0000AY3SR

1 Like

I have used that on CDs and glossy black electronics. Works fine. It wont remove all the scratches but most of them.

1 Like

I guess i should try it out then! Where i live the price for the whole bottle is way too high, i’m going to search for it in Santa Cruz (RS), since i’m going to pick up a laptop there today afternoon.

Walmart is cheaper. Trust me I hate going in there but if something is needed I will.

3 Likes

There’s a Walmart over there too, i’ll make sure i’ll check it out, thanks for the tip!

Make sure to grab a microfiber towel. Apply and go in smooth circles on the surface. No pressing or hard pressure. Then take a clean end of the same towel and buff it in until the product is gone.

I have used this stuff on headlights as well.

2 Likes

I’ve seen Techmoan use brasso to remove scratches from the plastic display panels on stereo gear. If it works on plastic, well, acrylic is a kind of plastic. If the panel is glass or plexiglass, though, it’s possible it wouldn’t work. No matter what you go with, test an inconspicuous area first.

1 Like

Yup, that was how i learned to use Brasso to clean up my audio gear, i had a few good older devices with very scratched up front panels and Brasso made them all new again. I have a very scratched up shiny PS3 here in the shelf that i could try the product again before i commit the whole side panel of my computer to the same treatment.
Edit: the panel on this case is, as far as i know, acrylic, so in theory it should work.

Yup! Brasso did the job!
Removed even the deeper scratches with ease, now i just need to apply the Clearbra to the windows, thanks for the suggestion guys!

Good to hear, I will keep this in mind. I usually just hit it with a small torch.

1 Like

I’ve seen a video about it but with with much thicker sheets of acrylic, so it works with thinner sheets too?

I cut this acrylic sheet with a table saw. Torched all sides so light will pass through and any scratches from handling and drilling holes through. Worked like a charm and fast. Panel is 1/4 inch, behind reservoirs.

20170914_044321

1 Like

Now that’s a nicely done system!

Thanks. But not done. I need one more Vega 64 then I will close up the bottom of main case and also a PSU shroud. The case has a pedestal and looks like this:

20171009_123531

2 Likes