Return to Level1Techs.com

How to overclock Vega on Linux...?

amdgpu
overclocking
vega

Yea bios overclocking may be making a come back…Even RTX cards seem to need certain bios’s for power limits.

BIOS OC is the best way IMO … I did every card last year in my mining rig (7950/70/280x’s) in windows (one at a time, benched for 24h to test stability) ,then made bios… The only way to get 7 cards working on single motherboard with those chips was a custom arch linux with the catalyst drivers installed from AUR… So to OC cards, I had to bios mod each one… soo much time for like no gain, but i learn;t a hell of a lot … I was very disappointed after getting the vega64 last week to find out bios mod was blocked on these cards.

If any one wants any cheap 1GHZ OC’d 7950-280x and massive memory oc’s that are stable I have a fair few here gathering dust LOL.

Agreed, I also was shocked to learn bios modding was no longer a thing when I switched to Vega64 a couple months back. VB7 made it so easy to mod clocks and even power caps directly in the bios for pre-Vega era cards. I didn’t mod GPU bios for mining as CGminer would allow to set GPU core voltage in script or config file, however for gaming on linux sure was nice being able to run same gpu settings as windows. Not very happy with AMD over that one and spewed hate their direction several times :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

but you don’t need to mod the bios to change the power target.
I can pull 225 watts on my vega 56 just by setting power limit +50 but you can get them to pull more w/o bios mod

@urmamasllama sure, in windows. Not necessary in linux yet.

Actually VBios Modding is still a thing, but it’s not easy.

In theory wattmangtk should be able to. I personally couldn’t run it to test unfortunately because it didn’t like that I have two amd gpus.

Hey, I am the creator of WattmanGTK. If you have problems with multiple GPU’s let me know. I am working hard on stuff, so let me know if you have any suggestions :wink:

Hay :slight_smile: I gave it a shot and the suggested grub line made my card pretty glitchy. Lots of flickering and flashing.
Asus strix rx480 8G OC card.
Suggested grub parameter
amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xfffd7fff

Only other setting I have is amdgpu.dc=0 because kernel 4.18 had no display .

Do you use dual monitors by any chance? If so, do you still have this using a single monitor?

Sure thing actually if you need any help with testing I’ll be happy to contribute.

Yes dual monitors… One HDMI one Displayport.

With one moniter the display is ok and the Wattman apt runs but the overclocks are not applied. When I drop out of a benchmark the peaks are still the default numbers.