How to install latest Nvidia driver on Ubuntu 18.10?

So I’m getting really annoyed with bricking my Ubuntu install trying to install Nvidia drivers. I downloaded the Nvidia 415.xx driver (latest one) and when I try and install it I just end up at a purple screen and Ubuntu never boots. I tried doing it via the additional drivers thing but that’s an older version. Also that older version gives me the same issue. After I reboot my PC Linux tries to boot but gets stuck. I don’t even see the boot loader menu pop up.

Anyone wanna give this noob some help?

You need to add the Ubuntu Graphics PPA. To do this, go here and read the instructions:
https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Basically you do this:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt update

Then open your Software / Updates deal, select addition drivers and choose which Nvidia driver you want to install.

The latest driver available via the PPA currently is 415.23.

2 Likes

Additionally, I believe there is a flag you can set in grub called ‘nomodeset’ that will prevent drivers from loading if your trying to troubleshoot driver related issues.

Find additional details here: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln306327/manual-nomodeset-kernel-boot-line-option-for-linux-booting?lang=en

After you’ve added the graphics PPA as per dj9’s post, you can switch between drivers using the command line as follows:

$ ubuntu-drivers devices
    == /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0 ==
    modalias : pci:v000010DEd00001C82sv00001043sd00008613bc03sc00i00
    vendor   : NVIDIA Corporation
    model    : GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti]
    driver   : nvidia-driver-396 - third-party free
    driver   : nvidia-driver-410 - third-party free
    driver   : nvidia-driver-415 - third-party free recommended
    driver   : nvidia-driver-390 - third-party free
    driver   : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

$ sudo apt install nvidia-driver-415

The GUI way of switching between drivers has been flaky for me ever since 18.04 landed, but the CLI always works.

1 Like