How to get Nvidia drivers to work on ubuntu [solved]

I am such a noob at this and i have only been messing with linux for a few days (I chose ubuntu 14.04). I have built a new PC and im using a EVGA 970, when get my hands on some drivers though and i restart it hangs just after i log in. i have started to get really good at purging nvidia drivers using ctrl+alt+F2. i really want to use linux as much as i can so can some please help

I got an MSI GTX 970 and I am running the 346.47 driver on Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 LTS. You could give that a try if you haven’t already.

i've heard good things about the xorg-edgers ppa for nvidia drivers. i've typically always had luck with the recommended driver in jockey. not sure if it is called jockey anymore, but i believe it is in the software config gui. i mentioned edgers, since i've heard of it, it's like anything with linux though if it breaks then ya get both pieces. i do use ubuntu for a server, but use the nouveau driver. sorry if this was non-specific and doesn't help.

Don't use the OSS drivers for Nvidia. Also there isn't OSS drivers for the 970

How are you installing the Nvidia drivers?

Here is the repo and install that I used to get the newest drivers:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mamarley/nvidia

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-346

Remember to purge the current drivers.

1 Like

omg it worked thank you kai, know if you know how to get my OBS to work you will be a legend

1 Like

You should probably add [Solved] to the title for people looking at it in future. Your welcome, by the way!

aptitude search nvidia-*

use this to find which is the newest available driver.

then use

sudo apt-get install nvidia-

sorry to revive this topic but I just searched for this like 500 times. best to have it all in one place for everyone.

1 Like

how do i purge current drivers??