How to fix buzzing/humming sound

I’ve had these Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers for a long time, but the subwoofer has developed an annoying buzzing sound. The sound is present without any input signal, even with the input disconnected. It is independent of the volume level. The only way I’ve found to stop it is to turn off the power switch on the subwoofer itself. The off switch on the control pod isn’t enough.

Some sites suggest a possible “ground loop” problem. I tried connecting to different outlets, with or without power adapter/UPS/etc, same problem.

Others say it could be a faulty internal connection, specifically certain crimped connections between wires, and recommend soldering them instead. I’ve done that, no dice.

Yet others say it’s the transformer… Not sure what could be done about that.

Ideas on how to eliminate this sound would be appreciated!

If there’s noise in the line you can try looping the cable through a ferrite choke.

1 Like

I thought of that, but I don’t have a ferrite choke available, and also the sound has been getting worse/louder over time so I’m not sure it’s an issue with the line.

I have done all sorts of things to fix this sort of problem. Updating drivers, updating my motherboard bios if it had some sort of on board sound fix, and heck just smacking the speakers around. In fact my right speaker for a good two weeks not long ago had a crackling sound to it and it just went away. Well actually it may have been interference from my headset that is hooked up somehow where the speaker set is also. Anyway damn it is fixed. Good luck with your issue. Sometimes things just go away without doing anything as I have had that happen. Well nothing that happened to change things was anything I did. I do get how buzzing / humming sounds are really annoying though as man the GTX 1080 Ti I had was nuts and also hear vehicles at times out there showing off their engines and what not while I walk hurt my ears also. I love a good sporty looking awesome vehicle but damn.

Well… Here’s how this works.
There are things, called “electrolyte capacitors”. It’s basically a sandwich roll of two metal foil layer with paper, soaked in stuff in the middle to isolate the two metals. That gives the capacitor certain capacity. The entire audio system is build with that capacity in mind.
When time passes, that paper, that have been soaked in oils and shit slowly dries out. That changes the capacity value of the element. The system is not playing well with that new capacitor, because it wasn’t designed for those capacitors. It was designed for the initial values, not the new ones.
The solution is to just replace the electrolyte capacitors with new ones, effectively giving the system the capacitors it’s comfortable with and effectively killing the aging of the entire thing.

Hmm that sounds like a big project. Identifying each capacitor’s capacity/type/polarity, purchasing suitable replacements, soldering, etc. Is there a way to be sure this is the issue beforehand?

Capacity/type/polarity are on the capacitor itself. Well type may not be but electrolytic ones are the typical ones you see like this.

Edit: oh yeah… Instructions… Look at the value and get one of the same online or locally, desolder the old one, circuit boards note the polarity on the board usually, and solder in the new one and see how it goes.

If you are really stuck you might be able to.salvage one of the same value from something else, they have standardised values so the turn op in various places sooner or later.

1 Like

They mostly look like this

But you can just have it repaired by a professional if you are hesitant.

But before attempting the repair it would be good to know the capacitors are actually the problem.

1 Like

Unfortunately only one way to find out.

What about using a multimeter to measure their capacitance? Seems at least one lead would need to be disconnected though.

To measure it both ends should be disconnected.

Pretty annoying. But thanks for the idea about capacitors. At least it’s plausible, since capacitors would deteriorate over time, which potentially explains the hum developing over time.