How to Dabble into Fields

Hey guys I am a computer science student and I wish to go into software engineering and AI stuff or maby I will just sell out and get an MBA after but I was wondering if there were any legit ways to dabble in other fields without getting a BS, MD, or PHD in that field? I am wondering this out of curiosity, I dont plan on entering any other fields apart from a vertical management position possibly in the future.

Yeah? Its called a minor.

I wanna say that a minor is 15 credits extra credits, a dual bachelorette in a very similar field is around 30 extra units.

And then obviously a degree in a totally different field is 60 units.

Some schools offer a hybrid degree where you can make your own title and mix and match two minor programs that the school can sign off on at their own discretion.

So for instance I combined neurology and electrical engineering for a neuro electronics degree. Which is a fancy way of saying that I like to take EEG machines and turn them into gaming mice : P

What do you mean? In the workplace? Happens all the time.

More often than not people work in a field unrelated to their education.

2 Likes

I wouldnt consider a minor since the companies I have talked to dont recognize it as valuable. They prefer side projects and I dont want to delay my graduation. College for me is about business and focusing on my primary career in software. I was wondering for post college like different certificates or AA degrees at most.

Well tbh any time someone tells you something is not taken seriously is full of shit.

The important thing is how you sell it to someone.

So if you wrote a resume and said Oh hey I have a degree and a minor, then yeah. No one will take you seriously.

But if you said that something to the effect of... 'hey, not only do I have the degree you require, but I also took several extra classes that really taught me something unique that would allow me to be a true asset to your company'.

Well, now all of a sudden you just showed that you might be a better candidate than the other 40 shmucks who applied to the same job.

That being said, real world experience will always beat out academics. If you can do something project or work based, it would probably be better.

But if not, then do not be afraid to take more classes. If you take your education seriously, and you are comfortable with selling yourself on a resume, then do whatever you want really.

Just dont take music or womens studies. THOSE classes are in fact a waste of time. : P

Summer internships in something you find interesting. If you have good grades and can write and convince people you want to do something they will let you. The problem isn't that there isn't enough money it's that they can't find people who are qualified to do what they want. Just apply to a whole bunch. It's starting to get to that time anyway.

I am doing a 8 month software engineering internship but I am more talking about maby a Mechanical engineer coming on here and promoting some software that all mechanical engineers use to design anything or a good place to sell those designs. Something of that nature, all my internships I plan for software engineering.

Yeah there's your problem. What it seems like you want to do is make software for other engineers to use, correct? making software that's worth using takes a lot of time and money to make. So unless you are working for one of those companies you aren't going to see that ever happen. There is already really good software out there. They constantly improve on it and to catch up to where they are now would be a feat on its own. So intern at one of those companies that work on those types of software. Most of the time software and code Mech Es use in the field if you can call it one is either super complex like solidworks or NX10 or CAD or written by us lowly Mech Es Bc we need something to turn which is easy to do. There is hardly a need for middle tier software anymore since the high end stuff is so good and incorporates most everything.

Your acquaintance's are more valuable than the degree.

Nepotism all too common in business. My company hires morons because they went to the same school as the manager/owner/president...

No that is not what I meant at all. For example if a electrical engineer wanted to get more into programming I might tell him to go and check out Python and give him the basics of algorithms. I am wondering the equivalent for other fields.

Ok well that's a simple answer.
How would one go about learning Python. Go online/grab a text book and read about and do it.
Same thing for any field.
The internet has made it possible to learn anything.
Idk what level of school you are at but I'm sure you can pick up software from your school if you are still there or at this internship. You really don't need software but it's nice to be able to use it. For example if you get into thermals and fluids you can easily set up the problem in software and see how it works. But you don't need it. All you need is a book paper and a pencil. You can learn anything.

However with out an actual school degree in engineering it's just a hobby in engineering. Sort of the bad thing when it comes to wanting to pick up engineering.

no a hobby is what I am wondering about, my profession will be software engineering and I hope to specialize in AI.

Thats why I am calling it dabbling.

Well i hope you don't mean machining Bc we engineers don't make stuff. We design stuff and then tell other people to make.

The difference between an engineer and a machinist is an engineer knows what he is making and how it works. Machinist don't give a shit so long as they get paid.

You should meet some more people. The degree does not make the engineer. Skill and intellect are not tought in school.

1 Like

Anything that interests you is what you should persue. Its just an internet search away. Computers are all about simplified interaction with the world around you. Make a robot or automate something...

Some of my hobbies are:
Programming (php,js,c++...)
Electronics
2d/3d game art
Building race engines
Restoring my boat
Woodworking
Model trains/rc cars

Lately I'm rewriting a home automation project with arduino and a web GUI. Also remodeling my kitchen.

I am not talking about now to be clear. Right now I am expanding my knowledge in computers and software in as many directions as I can go. After I get done with my current side project to learn Node.js I plan on studying some AI on my own time. I am just curious for post college in the work force how people could switch. It is more curiosity for now being there is an infinite things to study dealing with computers and software so it might take some time to conquer this mountain before I climb another.

Oh I see. Have a look into low latency displays and wireless communication for them. Such as vr/ar equipment. We will be seeing much more of this in the future.

there is a good chance in a projects course I am taking my future group which I have talked with may look into AR/VR stuff.

I am CS degree holder but I literally work as customer facing tech support.

This is more common most people think as you pointed out. Just wanted to second your comment.