How to Convice my Dad that he doesn't need a Skylake i7

So my Dads computer is dying and he wants to get back in to pc building. But he want an i7 and and 32 GB of DDR4. He mostly does Adobe Illustrator working with big map files. Usually plays simulator type of games. How can I convince him an i5 is enough. Also if you have any budget builds (Under 750 preferably) please post them below

Edit: YES, we are on a budget. He will (Most Likely) spend up to $1000. Although he doesn't care about an ssd, he could benefit one. I will try to pick him one under $1000 (₺3000).

I would show him some videos and ask him to do some research.

Is he on a budget?

If not, then why try to convince him?

Let the man spend his money. If he thinks that he is fine with buying power then all the luck to him, unless he is on a budget, in which case he should listen to others about how to get the bang for the buck.

As I tell my customers, the beefier the hardware, the longer the expected usability and life you will get out of the PC hardware when compared to the growth of bloat in desktop applications such as Illustrator, Office, or Autocad.

let him have his midlife crisis in peace, obviously you've already voiced your thoughts to him, that's enough.

3 Likes

The speed of your computer's central processing unit (CPU) affects the speed of Illustrator. Because Illustrator manipulates large quantities of data and performs many calculations, its speed depends on the processor's speed. Consider using a computer with a faster processor.

Illustrator will allso use Gpu acceleration GPU-accelerated computing offers faster performance across a broad range of design, animation, and video applications.

This means you get a big performance boost: Illustrator runs faster and more smoothly.

Let him have his i7 xD

1 Like

tell him to get 1 or 2 of those

Xeon E5-2600 v2
Xeon E5-2600 v3
Xeon E5-2600 v4

or something from 2011 LGA socket...

but srsly, your father is right if he works with big maps. Every second that isn't wasted is gained.

Tell him they re-released the Pentium 4 and see what he does.

1 Like

Tell him to get an i7 5820k

1 Like

It'd be hard to fit it under that price range anyways, maybe 16gbs of RAM, otherwise an i7 6700 would be fine

Course you could always just save money and snag an AM3+ CPU with that much RAM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VMMYFT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VMMYFT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Directron)
Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($167.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $591.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-30 18:03 EDT-0400

Good on ya dad for wanting an i7 & 32gb of RAM, an i7 or xeon equivilent is perfect for a workstation build. Hell if the budget we big enough I'd suggest going X99.

i5 ~ no, only if the use case was gaming only.

He will outright refuse to overclock a pentium 4 or any other cpu...

And why wouldnt he need a i7?
If he works allot with big map files, and does some adobe works and stuf.
I would definitely get an i7 for productivity anyday.
5820K if possible.