How to cheaply build a small PFsense router?

I wouldn't expect it to not set your house on fire.

But it is so cheap :(
How exactly would it set my house on fire though? Is it like one explosion and everything burns or is it more like heating up until stuff starts to burn.
I could easily build a mechanism that cuts power when it gets too hot.

If you wanna go cheap, you don't buy new stuff.
Get an old office PC and add a NIC or two. Intel dual gigabit NICs are 20,- bucks tops.

I actually found the dual nic motherboard that I mentioned earlier for 30 bucks, used. And 2gb low profile ddr3 ecc ram for 8 bucks. Also used, obviously.
So I'm actually considering going all in on cheap & used. I mean I could literally get the whole thing for €80.

word. there are some small formfactor dell optiplex systems that can be had for cheap, just toss in a intel NIC and you are set

1 Like

Here is one. Two low profile PCIe slots.

Well, including shipping that would cost me 70 bucks. So it would only save me 10 bucks and I wouldn't be as happy with the case. Also in the long run the AMD CPU will probably draw more power.

It was literally the first thing that came up.....

Look, you are asking for efficient, small, quiet, powerful and cheap.
I'm sorry but that is not how this world works. You will have to make compromises.

I don't know. I'm not really convinced on the burning PSU thing yet.

Well, I told you what I would do. And why. Now it's your choice.

if it was something that was being turned off like a PC i wouldnt care either but if its someting thats on 24/7 like a router i wouldnt want a cheap PSU

Still don't see why you don't slap an SG-1000 on a switch and/or AP and call it a day. Doubt you would really need the caching.

1 Like

As I said.

If you want wireless, get an AP. If you want more ports, get a switch. As for the caching, like I said, I don't think you actually need it. So yeah, I addressed all of that.

1 Like

Besides the fact that you apparently ignored half of my posts? If you would have read them you would know what I actually want. I never looked for more than 2 ports on the pfSense box. And why the heck would I spend 180€?? It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Yeah, just get that $28 psu+case.

I might.

The SG-1000 is actually quite a good solution for a home network because the switch can handle the internal traffic quite well but @nopit does kind of have a point, the SG-1000 is fairly expensive in the EU, if only it were slightly cheaper.

@nopit I still wouldn't trust that case+psu combo though.

I'm currently thinking about importing one of these 12V DC converter PSU thingys (whatever they are called):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-ATX-160W-160W-Power-Supply-Module-24pin-mini-ITX-DC-ATX-power-supply-PICO-BOX/32533501863.html

I could put that into any case and then I could power the case with a 12V power brick.
I already have a good 12V power source already which I use to power led strips and even my nas. I don't see a reason not to also connect the router to it.

Not too long ago I went on ebay and found a deal on these small form factor computers with dual NICs... They are realtek (I know you don't have to tell me). I have them at a few of my sites running pf-sense and they have been solid. They have ATOM D2550 processors in them I threw in a few gigs of ram and a drive for a cache. I havent really been able to test the full throughput since currently I only have a 70/70 ( I am currently overseas) connection but it handles that no problem. OpenVPN server running on it with very little CPU load. They don't have much else going for them since they run off a 12v brick and only have one PCI express port so expandability is limited. seemed suited for the job.

1 Like