How to Adult?

I just BS my way into and out of things. Has worked for me the last 15 years. Also never buy anything you can’t afford, credit is slavery. And learn to analyze risk. Because in many cases it could be worth it or a terrible idea.

All this is a comic accident so don’t take it too seriously. Care enough to get things done but, don’t let it eat you up.

3 Likes

I don’t sign up for what I can’t handle.

I have things that NEED to happen like going to school and things I WANT to happen like video games
needs trump wants

never

Not sure what you mean by this but I took that class in HS and currently have an investment account going for me, it’s small, but its better than must people because they don’t have one to begin with.

big folder

phone calendar although events important enough for that are extremely rare for me, I’m boring

don’t have any of those right now. graduate maybe?

Go to work.

Personal hobbies take a back seat and pretty do not exist on Tuesdays ;_;

ADEQUATE AMOUNTS OF SLEEP

3 Likes

Sleep is a common thing a lot of people miss.

1 Like

Adulthood is a mere chance state. Like a cat, we’re always still children. Att least cnn is :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways. I doubt I count for much, but I find resetting my sleep schedule helps a lot. I also keep a written planner when I am on a rigid schedule. If I have a reminder list I throw it at my phone. Money? I limit myself to 20 bucks if I’m just goofing around and most of the time that includes food.

1 Like

We should have a “How To Life” part of the forum.

But yeah, I would say that no one really knows everything on how to be an adult.

1 Like

As far as finances go, save as much as possible whenever possible. Always have enough money to function for an entire month if everything goes wrong. Car breaks down, lose your job, etc.

I’ve been pretty lucky, but I’ve been wasteful with my money as far as buying things I don’t need. I could have put thousands of dollars away in my savings if I hadn’t bought so much crap these past couple of years. Still working on changing that.

Can I argue that its just a made up thing for societies sake? You are who you are in life I mean. Some people are childish, other people have a rigid work ethic. Its not a matter of as soon as you’re 18 you must be of this behavior type. Thats just simply not how it works.

2 Likes

What did you do to keep on top of your life?
Bullet Journal. As much as I hate analog, Bullet Journal.

How do you decide to spend your time?
I find that I inherently know what things are important to get done sooner rather than later. Sometimes I’m wrong. My brother said it the best. “There’s that thing. Y’know, that thing you should be doing? Yeah, do it.” This helped me realize that a lot of my anxiety about a task was coming from the fact that I knew I should be doing it, but wasn’t doing it. And then we go back to the top, Bullet Journal.

Do you keep a detailed calendar?
Yes. You can guess what it’s called.

What did you learn about personal finance?
Don’t spend what you don’t have. An credit card is necessary for building credit. Get something stupid, like a Holiday gas station card. They’re handy later on in life, but for now you can get a quick lunch, and gas up, and pay everything off at the end of the month.

How do you keep track of numerous documents? Events? Goals?
Documentation is done via a wiki I have running on my network.

Documents are structured as best as I can based on what they are. Pictures/Kids/2017/files.jpg. Taxes/2017/files.pdf. If you have to sort down to month or day, use that order. Month, then day with leading zeros. Pictures/Kids/2017/03/23/files.jpg. At a higher directory, I have all of this sorted off into 2 categories: Shit, and Important. The important directory gets backed up.

I am an introvert. Events are hell. But if you’re going to do something, do it well. Events are logged in the Bullet Journal, details go in the wiki. Be on time, or a little early. Pro-tip: Y’know how in movies people will say they are “fashionably” early or late? Turns out this is a time window. Definitions vary, but 10-15 minutes is a good place to settle. I will literally find the place I am supposed to be at, be there upwards of an hour early on the extreme side, but I know where it is now. So I just drive around until it’s time to show up.

Goals. Long term goals are generally kept in my head. But the steps to get there go to the journal.

What do you routinely do to not let your life go adrift?
I let it drift for a while. Then I do something new to snap me out of it. But drifting can be a way of recharging yourself.

How do you manage your personal hobbies, with work and life?
My personal hobbies are my work life. Everyone dreams about this life that I’m living, where what I do for work is what I love doing. It’s actually really, really hard. When you care about what you’re working with, you can easily start to care too much. I’ve lost a job or two for going too far in arguments with senior developers (Story: when a developer can’t be arsed to bake a where clause into a query that is likely to return literally tens of millions of rows, and the user is only going to get ~300 rows anyways because of how the front end works, I’m going to fight it tooth and nail).

What is your go to way to remain productive?
The journal. It’s amazing. When I plan out what I’m going to work on throughout the week, I work like a mad man. Even if I don’t work on what I had planned that day, like a friend needs help with a server that’s giving him trouble, I’m ready for it.

Plan out the week. 3, or 4 tasks per day. If at the end of the week you find you don’t have time for the tasks, reel it back. Or if you have too much time on your hands after the tasks, add a couple more. I highly recommend How To ADHD’s Bullet Journal videos (there are 2, one explaining how they work, and one to help you set it up, I cannot link them right now).

2 Likes

A little advice.

I am becoming more and more aware of the importance of setting routines. I think a lot of people’s success or failure in life is completely dependent on the routines they set for themselves.

I would also recommend not just saving for retirement, but to make sure to make room to enjoy the present a little.

also, CGP has a good video on some things to avoid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mTELoj6o&t=

1 Like

worked for me

The Big Yin had another great one:
“everybody’s born to do a certain thing and if you’re dead jammy you find it.
And if you’re good at it just keep doing it, until you’re fed up with it, then just do something else…
I mean you’re here to make babies and look after the place y’know?”

TL:DR - Bill Hicks: “it’s just a ride…”

I’m not sure I would rush into adulthood so quickly. I’m guessing you’re in your early 20’s?

My advice is to be recklessly ambitious until you turn 30 and then work on stability. Your 20’s are your chance to travel, try different careers, dream up insane projects and execute them. Be obsessed with doing and learning new things. Build and discover the person you want to be.

Try to exercise often.

After you’ve exhausted yourself (probably around your 30th birthday), find a job with good 401K matching, buy a house and pump out some babies.

This advice isn’t for everyone, but I wanted to throw it in the mix. Turned out well for me.

Adults aren’t anything other then children who learned to take charge and responsebility.
In my oppinion do what ever you wanna, as long as you pay the bills, and you feel that you’re not wasting your life.

Im allmost 40 YO, and i still enjoy gaming, and hanging out/drinking, clubbing, concerts, slumming it to netflix etc etc. basically acting like i did when i was 20, with my friends, this is in the weekends though.
come weekdays i work as a software engineer in a international company and all that fancy grown up stuff, but i cannot wait until friday when it is again my time, and i again can do what ever the he… i want to.
I guess the magic line crossing from child to “grown up”, is when you understand what “me” time is, and when to earn dem moneyz, and be “grown up”.
Guess my advice is, figure out where that line is, then just do what you gotta do, then the rest of the time what you wanna do, thats what the rest of us do.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m 35 and I’m not doing anything that I thought I would be doing when I was in my early 20’s. I finished college with a degree in molecular biology and chemistry. Then completely change career paths a year later even though I was working in the field I got my degree in. I spent $1500 and took a 3 day course on certain program management tools that were popular in the industry that I now work in and dove in feet first.

9 years later, I have a 6 figure salary, no dept, a job that I’m good at, is easy for me, and I don’t hate. Money was tight the first few years because I started in the basement and worked my way up but I got good at my job, put effort in to learning more from the people that were around me. When people asked me to do something, I wasn’t afraid to tell them that I didn’t exactly now how. But the next thing I would was “but I can learn”. It doesn’t really matter what work you do, take pride in what you do, strive to be better at it, and get the job done above all. If you do that, then the career thing will take care of itself.

To me, being an “Adult” comes down to taking responsibility for yourself and owning up to the decisions that you make regardless of the consequences of those decisions. Like Lauritzen said, I still do pretty much the same things I liked doing when I was in my 20’s. I just make sure those things don’t interfere with getting my work done.

There’s a quote by C.S. Lewis that I’m pretty fond of:

“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

2 Likes

Don’t get bogged down with random adult goals or classes of things that emerge to be common among what adults do.

Be playful, never stop finding new ways to train or use your brain, find the things you’re passionate about, find your people. Keep in mind that human brains have a lot of shortcomings (like being susceptible to all kinds of biases like the backfire effect, and an inability to intuit benefits of long term planning (you’re not naturally great at long term plans because our cro-magnon brains aren’t supposed to)).

Adults don’t know what they’re doing. See life as a system of systems within chaos, a network of networks, and if you ever find yourself siding with the masses, stop and reevaluate the situation.

Do you watch Rick and Morty? Watch especially season 3 ep 7.
Here’s a quote from it: “everyone who continues to explore the citadel [a metaphor for our society, with very smart people no less] is either stupid, or one of the unfortunate millions held hostage by their own ideas.”

Never go Full Adult, but try identifying and dealing with problems before they become huge.

As has been stated, debt is slavery.

2 Likes

gain XP, Level UP, buy better equipment, increase intellegents

2 Likes