How old is too old?

Im not far off.

Well if at scale sure cost of new hardware, install and setup then power saving over x amount of years might pay off.

Im not saying never have a backup plan. Of course once there are no hardware replacement parts to swap in. Time to move to hardware that is supported.

I keep alot of stuff that is still working. I still work on old systems. You never know what I may come across that is needing RAM or a processor or anything else. I also take ole cases and put new back in them as a sleeper system. Some people go for that. Its a challenge at times…but its fun. I have rebuilt one of my old systems to play older games. It still has its original board in it but everything else has been updated and the case has been modified.

1 Like

Lacie Electron Blue, CRU lets it do 2560 x 1600 but only upto 68Hz, A limitation of a 400Mhz RAMDAC.

I don’t game competitively any more so will be downgrading it to an LCD of some kind very soon.

I still have a NEC CRT out in my garage. Its amazing how responsive it feels and looks compared to the LCDs of today.

2 Likes

I used to just hoard every part from every person I knew, and then I was stuck with a garage full of ancient scrap that I realistically was never going to use.

I ended up just recycling/rebuilding everything except for the most recent couple of systems in case something were to break. By doing this I managed to remove about a pickup bed worth of scrap, but keep about two storage totes. I turned my Q6600 PFSense router into a qotom mini-pc and managed to get more performance and save money every month on my power bill.

Any power supply less than 450W, any 2 core CPU/Board (with the excepion of Skylake or higher), any DDR2 stick of RAM, any scrap laptop parts, any OEM crap I try to regift or recycle. I keep all graphics cards, sometimes having some crappy OEM GPU is handy, and sometimes having a couple generations back GPU can be useful. I keep all hard drives, and use DBAN + drill holes on any that I need to put out of commission.

I have found that decluttering my garage has been more valuable to me than any of the old systems that I got rid of.