How often should I be doing a parity check on my NAS drives?

I am running an unraid server that does an automatic parity check once a month by default and every time I do it on my 30Tb it takes over 24 hours. Not to mention these are shucked easytores with power adapters and its putting a lot of hours on the rust that Im sure I was never going to get as much out of as a WD Red anyway. Array is in RAID 1 mirrored over 3 drives. How often would you guys run parity check on this?

1 Like

Once a month is the default for exactly that reason. If you’re just using it mostly for media storage, you could probably get away with once every couple of months, but you’ll just be less likely to catch a failing drive.

1 Like

Is a ‘parity check’ similar to a ZFS scrub operation? (asking as I have not used Unraid)

1 Like

If they’re spinning they’re spinning. I refuse to believe head seeks contribute significant wear on a drive. You’re only saving drive lifetime if they’d normally be sleeping.

That’s just my opinion on that.

3 Likes

And I meant to add that I do a btrfs scrub on my NAS array every week. But that’s just me.

The drives in the array are 4x WD Red 6 TB and 2x Toshiba Enterprise 4 TB. They are all about 4 years old at this point.

I did discover a scrub error not too long ago. Details were posted here: https://www.reddit.com/r/btrfs/comments/mfens2/first_new_scrub_errors_in_years/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

2 Likes

Once a month on a day when it’s going to be least used.

Sunday is usual but since this is a home NAS, maybe midweek would be better?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.