How much does my modem matter?

Moving to a new place and getting much faster internet. I'm getting 300Mbps down and 30Mbps up. getting a modem from the company costs $110 so I said I'll provide my own.

Would that one bottleneck anything? only asking because its one of the cheapest ones so it made me skeptical. also how important is the 8 channels down and 4 channels up? it will just be me and another person. Both our PCs, phones, and a 4k tv, will be connected. Would getting a modem that supports higher speeds and more channels improve speed or ping?

Thanks guys!

In brief: it doesn't matter too much.

In detail: yeah, it can matter a lot.

The quality of your modem in terms of what you need is really just like any other piece of hardware. The more performance you need, the higher quality/price bracket you're going to be buying from. The nice thing is that you're just asking about residential usage, which basically means you don't need much and your options are going to be pretty standard across the board (although numerous, which can be confusing). Got DOCSIS 3.0? Check. Speeds that at least match what your ISP will be giving you? Check. That's about it for residential concerns.

This article may answer your questions in full: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explained-part-8-cable-modem-shopping-tips/

Honestly, I just bought the modem that my ISP (Suddenlink) usually rents out to people because it's cheaper to buy it and I don't have to deal with getting a 3rd party unit that I know would work with my ISP.

ok awesome! I wasn't sure if a better modem would provide better sustained speeds or improvements on ping or not. Cox said I would have fiber in my area before the end of 2016 so I didn't want to shell out a bunch on a better cable modem if it didn't improve anything. thanks man

Nah, you should be fine with what you linked. I'd say do a quick google search and/or ask your ISP for advice on that. But I imagine any ol' modem should be fine as long as it's DOCSIS 3.0. I mean, when ISPs roll out fibre it's typically the long distances between the larger clusters. That is to say, "the last mile" is left running copper so it's not like you're going to be having the literal fibre optic cable in your house.

Why are they even called modems, they don't work on multiple dials anymore.

I call vote for calling it the shitty-wirebox-with-a-terrible-connection-that-no-one-manages-correctly........-magjigger.

All in favor say "Screw You Comcast"

so the major companies that have fiber @ 1Gbps they still use cable modems in the house? In that case should I get a modem that supports 1gbps to not have to upgrade in november?

nvm I found out that they provide their own modem for fiber for free. thanks for your help