How much do you think Elite: Dangerous will change/improve after The Next Era?

Yeah but in the mean-time they’ve made bank to survive in the interim :smiley:

Maybe that’s part of the strategy. Wait for the original backers to give up gaming/die of old age/etc. and sell new accounts to the next generation of gamers who hear about this legendary thing…

1 Like

Still, it’s been the prettiest tech demo there ever was…

1 Like

Yeah. I built 2 new rigs in the interim with the goal of having the spec to run it effectively.

I’ve always said that people who are so firm on SC never releasing are choosing a much more involved path than people like myself who threw $40 or whatever it was in way back when are taking. I don’t check up on the game, watch media concerning the game, or debate the game’s status with any frequency. I just threw $40 in and forgot about it. Yet every time it’s mentioned, people trot out to say it’s not coming.

I think I have the easier path, myself.

I think Optane came with a key or code or something, so loading could be fun…

Sure, go tread the lonely path of not-butt-hurt sourness. You do you. I like to chat about it on occasion because it makes the pain bearable…

Oh I’m right there with you.

The $60 Aussie I threw at is gone. I’ve accepted that, moved on, whatever. Doesn’t change the reality of Star Citizen though :smiley:

If it DOES release then maybe I’ll have something to play in my retirement. But I’m not holding my breath.

1 Like

Oh, and sorry bud, didn’t mean to derail your thread.
I have no idea how long ED will last

1 Like

@everyone

Seriously, though guys. Not to sound like Dr Evil. But based on those questions i’ve asked, which are very intriguing if I don’t say so myself - what would you say to those questions?

If Elite adds Space Legs within a 1 year time frame as they say. We can walk around with our characters in our ships, on Stations with other players and on planets, all while being able to establish bases and having some form of world-building. Logically, that tells me Elite truly is undergoing change for the better and is worth taking a second look at. Or getting into altogether. These changes just on paper sound VERY enticing and look to transform the game into a much deeper and content-rich experience. Also, I forgot to mention Thargoids in the flesh.

As for Star Citizen. Look, I have my own objective view on Star Citizen. Please don’t start an argument over it here. I’ll just diffuse the situation here and now. If you understand the scope, ambition and goals of Star Citizen, what would be required to create something like that can’t even be called a milestone. Again, ON PAPER, in terms of concept and overall goals, SC is like what GTA III was to open world games. And then furthermore what Bethesda Defined for Open World gameplay with TESIV. And what MMOs have done for multiplayer games. With those things in mind, the wait for SC is justifiable. Completely. Starting on a station at the other side of the galaxy. Mind you, filled with players, NPCs. Complete with shops, etc, etc, etc. Going to the hangar. Getting into your ship. Warping off to some other planet and landing there without any loading screens through the atmosphere. Landing in a city - again - sprawling and brimming with life. Mainly in the form of NPCs, mixed with players. That’s what I envision. Completely justifiable.

NOW, is the feature creep ok? All of those things, honestly. I don’t know how much of whatever people SAY they are doing is true. But ultimately and simply put, the scope and scale of the game is revolutionary. For people who logically think about just what this game aims to achieve, this is absolutely ridiculous. With the entirety of its experience in mind, Star Citizen should be rated EC or K-A. Early Childhood or Kids to Adults. Much like Diddy Kong Racing on the N64. Not because of the subject matter. But because who in the FLYING FUCK is going to have time to play something like that other than children? :rofl: I’m getting older now and honestly, I always question how I could have time to play something like that. That which Star Citizen aims to be.

Until that absolutely monumental milestone - still an understatement - is achieved, I would want to focus on whatever game is relatively there in terms of availability. Both in terms of content available now and in the relatively near future. Hence talk of Elite Dangerous The Next Era expansion.

Why would you want that? Multiplayer specifically? Because having to be online in single player is bulshit…

You remember when it was anounced what a big thing it was, that it will support AMD’s whatever it was technology, that lived, died, became Vulcan, got through 57 versions etc etc etc?
I wonder if they will rework everything now to include DX ray tracing…

No, you just wasted 40$… That’s the main thing…

Here’s the thing with ED… They can keep piling up features and that’s absolutely fine. What I want is some structure. There is no structure to the game.
They allowed you to land on anything and that’s just fine, but that doesn’t solve the issue - there is no structure to the game. It’s just a bunch of features. You play the game to play the game. There is no overarching reason to play the game. You don’t strive towards anything but to play more of the game.

Give me a thread to follow. Something…
Building a base may be nice, but then again what am I doing with it? Piling up resources in it? Just like I have been doing for 17 hours in my ship? It’s the same mechanic with different skin. Will there be some sort of management mechanic? Some sort of control over the station? Or is it just Build it and it will be just another station on the map…

Well… What do you mean? I’m not talking about a singleplayer game. Elite is online. ?

Well logically, i’m assuming they will build things around these new features. Space Legs will allow you to actually talk to NPCs in person. Accept missions. Do missions with your friends and BE the characters you created together. Thargoids in the flesh? Battle Thargoids, in the flesh then?

And again, i’m asking what the hell else is there? I remember when Christopher pitched his FUCKING IDEA in his digital backdrop Fisher Price My First Fucking Spaceship in what? 2012? Holy shit. And there still isn’t anything to play but a tech demo. I mean, what else do I have? Is there an open world MMO space game with all of these things. Which honestly I only want to summarize as COMMON SENSE. Because i’m tired of saying “character creation… actually… open world. Talk to NPCs… etc, etc, etc.” It seems everywhere I look there’s a fucking half-baked game or it looks like some game from 1993 that just has modern graphics and is basically translated into 3D. I found EVERSPACE. Looked great for about 3 seconds then I realized it’s just some spaceship blaster BULLSHIT.

And if anyone suggests EVE Online… I’m gonna put a fucking gun in my mouth here and now. Maybe stream if for you fine folks on Discord. EVE Online… Pff-ff-ff… Fuck me dead.

I say that because you multiple times said Online and not Multiplayer. So multiplayer online is perfectly fine…

Nothing… That’s the sad part…
It’s that, No Man’s Sky and Star Citizen. Everything else is old.
People suggested X4…
I don’t know who do I have to suck off to have my Freelancer Remake. That game is super old and super fun. And since it’s made by Microsoft it’s buggy as hell.

Noooo… I want participation from the other side…

Are you serious right now?

Well I rest my case. I can’t find anything better. With the recent announcement about ED, it’s sounding better though. Much better. Idk? Logically, I would assume Space Legs would have a lot built around it.

Why wouldn’t I be? Online multiplayer is nothing new and is perfectly fine. I just want to be able to play my singleplayer games when the internet is down…

Well the good thing is they haven’t given up on developing their game like I did with all of mine :smile:

But where’s the confusion coming from? I never mentioned wanting a SP game. Online AKA multiplayer. Elite Dangerous is an MMO is it not?

You can play ED in singleplayer mode. You still need to be online, because the game draws data for the universe from the servers, but you can play the game in single player.

Oh, well fuck. I didn’t know that. Well I guess it’s pulling in data still because player actions affect the universe? And I suppose NPCs, mainly Thargoids are somewhat dependent on the servers?

And how often do you play?

I have not played in … hmmm … 7 years?

I thought Elite was only out for 5? Or 6? 2014 right?

I don’t know really. I bought it on the first discount and played like 17 hours of it. Then got bored.
Still waiting for them to add some actual structure. And honestly eventual VR would make wonders for games like ED.