How many server NICS?

Ok so I just put together a Ryzen 1600X 32GB Ram Proxmox with some ssd zfs pool. Now I have gone through some iterations to arrive at this point. ESXI/XCP-NG/KVM Ubuntu. Anyways my question is how do you guys seperate your networks on these hypervisors? Do you use multiple nice and seperate amongst your different subnets? Do you use one good Intel nic and use vlans? I am trying to decide do I seperate my LXC containers with one nic and my Windows Server side with another nic?Appreciate any help on this topic.

1 Like

Depends on your network… I recently converted my home network to VLANs so I put all the interfaces (that I’ll use for my VMs) under one bridge and made it vlan aware so I can just change the vlan tag number to move it around different subnets.

ex.

How many VMs? Notice any slowdown in throughput?

My networking switches are 1Gb… the link i use for my VMs (enp43s0) is 10Gb to my router, so no, not yet… I do plan to get a switch that has 2+ 10Gb ports eventually tho.

The incremental backup I ran earlier from two VMs at the same time.

1 Like

I tend to use lacp and vlans to fully leverage however many nics I have available.

1 Like

I prefer VLANs just because it gets all convoluted and confusing with more than a couple NICs. The most annoying part is ever server numbers there NICs differently, either 0-x from left to right or 1-x right to left.

So I think ya sold me on vlans. I have an Intel dual port nic coming for this Ryzen build since the old b350 has a realtek. Just out of curiosity what could a single port nic handle throughput wise with how many VMs? Any of ya had to push alot of traffic from many VMs over one nic for any reason?

At work we have 3 VM servers going through 1 NIC. A CRM, a cad/pricing software for construction that multiple people RDP to and a workstation that I use for remote work.

Haven’t noticed a single issue to date, I wouldn’t want to run a NAS or storage server off a shared nic though because they cap out frequently.

1 Like