How long until they phase out DDR3 RAM?

I'm planning to buy an 8gbx2 RAM kit this december for my Core i5 4670k, it seems some games require it. Also, my R9 280x has been overheating like hell and I want to buy it an Accelero Xtreme IV 280(X). Sadly I only have money for one of them, so I think I'm going to buy the GPU cooler first.

It'll take me some time to save more money for my RAM kit, so how long will DDR3 last before they remove it from stores?

My mobo: Asus Z87 Pro

Not for a long while I would say five years time. DDR2 stuck around a long time in retail. Still around being sold on sites like New Egg.

5 years?! Really? I hope so.. I guess I'm going to buy the GPU cooler then, thanks for the response. :)

I agree, There is soon much DDR3 in circulation and companies still make the stuff so I think you have years before its a hard to find commodity,

Aye this is great. :) Thanks!

1 Like

DDR3 isn't going to be EOL any time soon, they have servers still running DDR2 ECC RAM still lying around some small business. Will it be possibly obsolete in a year? Probably, because Intel Skylake already supports DDR4 and AMD Zen is supposed to support DDR4 as well which is scheduled for release sometime mid-to-late 2016.

You'll probably be able to buy it off aliexpress ten years from now.
I just bought 20 unused 41464 DRAM chips with 1995 date codes for next to nothing - so you should be good.

For the special edition / overclocker type RAM I'd expect 2016 / 2017.

You can still find DDR2 in the market, so I'm thinking it will be a long while before the phase out DDR3

Why don't you just repaste your 280x or get a case with better airflow?

In my country I can still find ddr1 brand new from stores with warranty and everything...
Ddr3 is not going anywhere anytime soon. It will go out far after all products, that can use it has been off the market...

You can salvage DDR1 from a couple of places, not actually buy it mind you but its not hard to get. Its not going to happen for a good while

untill AMD launches their new platform based on DDR4 basicly.

But if you mean "how long will you be able to still buy DDR3 ram?",
well thats hard to say, but it will still be availeble for a couple of years.

Oh no, i am talking about buying it... I can buy it, pay for it, get a warranty and all that jazz...

Well according to Gigabyte, DDR3 was mainstream in 12 to 18 months. So give DDR3 about 6 quarters (1 and a half years) to be fully excluded from new products. After that expect the same business plans that have been implemented years ago for SD ram (8mb, 16mb, 32mb, 64mb, 128mb, etc) to be implemented but for GB along with the same business lifetime as DDR3 (people today are too lazy to make up new business models for a new population/generation...)

in 2 years.